Wisteria struggling

LemonBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I cant seem to figure out whats wrong with my wisteria. My plan was to let it grow wild this year but so far the longest stem I got out of it this year was about a 4 inch stem, then it stopped growing around the end of June/ start of July.

Heres the story:
Last year I brought the wisteria in doors as the buds were swelling because we were getting a late frosty week. Last year it grew pretty well, but it shot up tendrils and then when I brought it back out doors for the spring/ summer, the tendrils eventually turned brown, and the plant didnt grow at all for the rest of the season. I figured I didnt acclimate it properly back outside and just kept watering until it went dormant again.

This year I started the season off my repotting, just basically loosened old soil and potting it into another pot because as of last year it was still in its nursery pot and soil. I potted it up in 1:1 ratio of perlite and oil dri, and added orchid bark and earth worm castings. After that I waited for it to wake up, and it wad the last plant on my bench to wake up, it started pushing groeth so I was optimistic. Then as I said it just stopped, no tendrils either, and it hasnt grown for about a month, maybe more.

With anyone with experience on wisteria, is this just still in shock by maybe a combo of last years drama, and this years repotting? Do wisteria grow in flushes? And why am I not seeing tendrils? Should I just throw it in the ground this year and wait a couple years for it to recover then dig it back up?

I keep the soil moist as I know this guys dont like dry soil, and I feed it weekly.
20220729_200237.jpg
20220729_200226.jpg

I had it in part shade to see if growing re sumed but it didnt, so I put it in full sun, but its leaves started folding completely by mid day, so I put it back in part shade.

Any help/tips will help.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Get a saucer and put the pot in it. Water the plant like crazy and keep the saucer filled. These guys like a lot of water. I keep mine in full sun in saucers filled with water and they are doing great.

LemonBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Get a saucer and put the pot in it. Water the plant like crazy and keep the saucer filled. These guys like a lot of water. I keep mine in full sun in saucers filled with water and they are doing great.
Should I still do this even if the plant doesnt dry out now?

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Wisteria can be late starters. Not as bad as crepe myrtle though!

Bigger pot full sun, lots of water. Some folks out here just keep them in a shallow pot of water and still water them.

If it was one of my Wisteria, I’d slip pot this guy into a larger pot with the same media so it has plenty of water.

Likely you may need to ease the tree back into the sun after being in the shade… maybe a week max.

Good luck!

cheers
DSD sends

LemonBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Wisteria can be late starters. Not as bad as crepe myrtle though!

Bigger pot full sun, lots of water. Some folks out here just keep them in a shallow pot of water and still water them.

If it was one of my Wisteria, I’d slip pot this guy into a larger pot with the same media so it has plenty of water.

Likely you may need to ease the tree back into the sun after being in the shade… maybe a week max.

Good luck!

cheers
DSD sends
Thanks for your suggestion 😊

Top Bottom