Wisteria

Krone

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
At my parents place, we have an big old wisteria that i'm planning to air layer couple of branches.
Any tip or advice regarding this species? It's really a beautiful tree and awesome bonsai IMO, so i am a bit confused why there is relatively small amount of data on internet regarding this plant.

cishepard

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Attachments

• 21bfacfacdf609248d3f9174f7da5a24.jpeg
    21bfacfacdf609248d3f9174f7da5a24.jpeg
    36.8 KB · Views: 22

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Wisteria are relatively easy to layer using normal layering technique and timing so put your layers on in spring.
Also quite hardy and easy to grow but may be more difficult to get flowers which means there are as many theories about wisteria care as there are growers. I'm sure if you use the B'nut search to look for wisteria you will find plenty of threads but that might just confuse the issue because they will all claim different care is best.

Go ahead with your wisteria layers while you find out more and then learn more while you grow them. They are a great bonsai for that week or 2 in spring when they flower well.

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
At my parents place, we have an big old wisteria that i'm planning to air layer couple of branches.
Any tip or advice regarding this species? It's really a beautiful tree and awesome bonsai IMO, so i am a bit confused why there is relatively small amount of data on internet regarding this plant.
Well for one they don't all flower. Ours has been in the ground for 15 years and never flowered. I googled and tried various "hacks" over the years. I've just given up....

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mine is young but very thirsty. Likes sitting flooded like a Bald Cypress in the heat of summer. Had it in the pond a lot last summer. The vines when allowed to climb something will thicken much faster than if you prune or wire to be freestanding. Mine is likely to young to flower yet. Might get a pond basket this year as it slowed last year in a smallish pot. Needs to be a larger tree for the blooms I hope to get eventually.
Just my experiences... fwiw

Attachments

• IMG_20191104_130011465.jpg
    IMG_20191104_130011465.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 22

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Wisteria seedlings are notorious for slow maturing. Usually a min of 7 years to be old enough to flower. One of ,mine was 19 years old when it first flowered. Only grow seedlings if you have plenty of years to see it through.
Cuttings and layers are a different thing. The wood they are grown from is already mature so they can flower the following year if conditions are OK.
Getting the correct conditions for flowering is the challenge and is the reason why there are so many differing opinions on what to do with wisteria.
Underdog is spot on about the size and shape. You need to grow a framework that will show off those long, dangling flower racemes.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There is a fair amount of info on wisteria bonsai-most of it discouraging ;-) Wisteria bonsai are mostly a pain. They grow like mad. Only look good for a week or two in bloom, they spend the rest of the summer pushing out long extension growth that has to be constantly watched and controlled. They also can refuse to bloom in a container. Old trunks are the only thing worth air layering, as they may flower more reliably IF you prune them correctly. Wisteria require extremely hard pruning to keep them in shape and to form flower buds.

Last edited:

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Also extremely easy to root from hardwood cuttings.

Top Bottom