With a Turtleback Trident clump...is it just personal preference

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I think closer together obstructs the view, it's visually cluttering. Now that's fun because there's a lot to see! But I feel it draws the attention to just a little above the center of your photograph, like the top half of it, trying to find out what is what and who is who.
I think the first picture works best, in the sense that it draws my eye to the actual center and not above it. From there on, I can follow each trunk. Visually less of an exercise, but more pleasing to me personally.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Usually the trees in a clump temp to begin to arch away from each other as they grow taller. So, you might consider propping them out using chopsticks or something. And try to have the trunks not cross each other. And scrape the moss off the base.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Usually the trees in a clump temp to begin to arch away from each other as they grow taller. So, you might consider propping them out using chopsticks or something. And try to have the trunks not cross each other. And scrape the moss off the base.
The base is molded. And I'm not sure how much movement the trunks have up top. The two I tested seemed not to forgiving.
This sounds like the best front then.
Agreed...needs the vinegar treatment. Thanks.
IMG_20191205_084413557~3.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I see the trunks are too straight to visually look good. I also think they are a bit too thick to bend now so all you can really do is to re-arrange them so they don't cross each other from the front view. I learnt a great deal from @markyscott on how to build trident from scratch. You got to wire the branches while they are still young...

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The base is molded. And I'm not sure how much movement the trunks have up top. The two I tested seemed not to forgiving.
This sounds like the best front then.
Agreed...needs the vinegar treatment. Thanks.
View attachment 273332
I think you could wedge some wood in between the upper trunks to create some separation.

Before you apply the vinegar, scrape off the excess moss with tweezers.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I see the trunks are too straight to visually look good. I also think they are a bit too thick to bend now so all you can really do is to re-arrange them so they don't cross each other from the front view. I learnt a great deal from @markyscott on how to build trident from scratch. You got to wire the branches while they are still young...
Agreed...the trunks are straight, and to thick to bend. But surely there are possiblities to take this further. I spoke to Matt Smith and he and I both felt it may need cut back to make it "more".

It just arrived though...as of yesterday late afternoon before I walked out the door for an engagement. I've not had a chance to consider more. I'm open to ideas. I see you tagged a fellow I wouldn't mind getting his opinion. So thanks... A few more would be @William N. Valavanis , @MACH5 , @Brian Van Fleet ...maybe they could offer guidance as to if cut back a good direction to go with it. Though in person...I can't say the straight trunks are grotesque. They seem stately. 🤷 Maybe because I love clumps...as well as turtleback.

Warpig

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I like it! You just get this? Dont think I've seen this one yet.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If it were mine and I was working with either of the 2 views you posted, I'd start by looking at moving two of the trunks in the directions shown by the black arrows (note the arrows don't show how much they should move, just the direction). Right now they are too crowded together in areas, have the crossing trunk in one view, etc. Moving these might be accomplished by using chopstick wedges as Adair mentioned (but this usually results in both trunks moving, unless one is much thicker than the other), or you might have to use rebar and/or guy wires creatively applied. Once you get the trunks moved into a position you like, then you can consider whether some of the trunks should be chopped to introduce more taper and height variations.

Then again, what do I know?

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
If it were mine and I was working with either of the 2 views you posted, I'd start by looking at moving two of the trunks in the directions shown by the black arrows (note the arrows don't show how much they should move, just the direction). Right now they are too crowded together in areas, have the crossing trunk in one view, etc. Moving these might be accomplished by using chopstick wedges as Adair mentioned (but this usually results in both trunks moving, unless one is much thicker than the other), or you might have to use rebar and/or guy wires creatively applied. Once you get the trunks moved into a position you like, then you can consider whether some of the trunks should be chopped to introduce more taper and height variations.

View attachment 273337

View attachment 273338
Thanks for your input. Honestly anything to chew over is good food for thought. 😉

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

View attachment 273337

View attachment 273338
Agreed!

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
In addition to @coh remarks, I’d consider rotating the front just a touch clockwise to out that skinny trunk into the space between the two behind it, kind of where I marked the pot rim in green. I’d prune it at the red to get rid of the knobby look of those two trunks. Then, I’d use an old toothbrush to scrub away the moss on the trunks. If they’re well-fused, you’ll want to feature that. If not, you’ll want to keep them covered until they are.
AF43A348-976F-4DB0-A1E6-E696981B2D27.jpeg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
In addition to @coh remarks, I’d consider rotating the front just a touch clockwise to out that skinny trunk into the space between the two behind it, kind of where I marked the pot rim in green. I’d prune it at the red to get rid of the knobby look of those two trunks. Then, I’d use an old toothbrush to scrub away the moss on the trunks. If they’re well-fused, you’ll want to feature that. If not, you’ll want to keep them covered until they are.
View attachment 273343
Thanks Brian! You offered great direction. Appreciate it as well as all who have shared.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Does it look terrible with the largest trunk in front?
I think that will give you the most depth, and best negate the same height of those 2 that are close in height.

General rules say adjust so you can see all the trunks, and keep spacing unequal.

Sorce

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Trunks that are very straight are indicative of growing in a forest and are typically plumb; straight up. Clumps, on the other hand are formed by trees that sucker so the bases are close together and their growth leans outward from the center because there is insufficient space to grow straight up, but there is space, outboard. You pays your money and you takes your choice. One, or the other. Forests with crooked trees look funny because they are a mixed metaphor: all the trees in the forest grow and are influenced by the same conditions and space-constrained environment surounded by other trees. Two trees of the same species and age growing next to each other don't have any reason to look different. If they do, it looks incongruous regardless whether or not the viewer can identify, "what's wrong with this view."
Forest with outer trees leaning out and inner canopies intermingling inside the forest. They grow tall with skinny trunks inside a forest.

Clump with all trees leaning out in all outward directions because the canopies interfere with one-another and space is available outward.

Last edited:

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Top Bottom