With a Turtleback Trident clump...is it just personal preference

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks,for your opinion..my original one too!

It's hard when it grows on you from all angles. It's like. Sure there is a better front. But you walk around it and it makes me happy.
That's the best kind of trees you want to own. Trees are meant to view from all sides.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Most all clump trees found in nature are stump sprouts.
Meaning that came out after the tree was cut down.
I see lots of them.
Hundreds actually.
99.9% of them have straight trunks.
I think this clump represents those perfectly.
I would maybe try to get the knobby parts off like BVF says but that's about it.
It's nice.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I received in the mail the other day...a lovely commissioned pot by Sam Miller for this tree. Not really sharing an image until it's paired together in the spring. But man...it's lovely. Had some guidance from Sergio in the direction of the pot. And I'm grateful he was kind enough to help. I think Sam nailed it.

Will share later in the spring.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
A commissioned pot from Sam Miller. With Sergio's guidance in the style/color. Sam nailed it I think.

Can't wait to repot this come spring. Just a play of angle where this current pot is out front and I'm low enough to not visually see the current pot it's in.
IMG_20200217_145148017~3.jpg

Atom#28

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
A commissioned pot from Sam Miller. With Sergio's guidance in the style/color. Sam nailed it I think.

Can't wait to repot this come spring. Just a play of angle where this current pot is out front and I'm low enough to not visually see the current pot it's in.
View attachment 284320

A very elegant pairing. Nice work! Gonna look spectacular when the repot is complete

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
So I went in and thinned it. The front tree was so thin. I just couldn't see it being near as tall as the one behind it. So making it almost like an under story in the clump. I think the overall foliage image will look good. Offering depth. Will still wire the leader up to fill the void in the space in the clump. But pondering keeping it lower so the trunks of the trees far right and back show above the canopy of the smaller tree. (Can always grow it taller.) But wonder if it will add more depth to the overall piece.
Needs wired yet...

Screenshot_20200310-142204.pngScreenshot_20200310-172924.png

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Love this commissioned pot from Sam Miller. The glaze/patina. 🥰

Sergio has been so gracious, and has giving me guidance on making this tree a better overall image. But I love the direction it's headed.

Keeping with the tall elegance...we don't wish to lose that overall feel.

Man I love this hobby. 🥰 FB_IMG_1584646467913.jpgIMG_20200319_143217321~2.jpgIMG_20200319_154828223~2.jpg

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Love this commissioned pot from Sam Miller. The glaze/patina. 🥰

Sergio has been so gracious, and has giving me guidance on making this tree a better overall image. But I love the direction it's headed.

Keeping with the tall elegance...we don't wish to lose that overall feel.

Man I love this hobby. 🥰 View attachment 289928View attachment 289929View attachment 289930

You still need to use a toothbrush to remove that moss/slime off the bases of the trunks.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
If you let it get dry you can hit it with a butane torch with quick passes. Have a squirt bottle with water pumped up and ready to cool the trunks.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Darlene, look at Walter Pall’s thread, “Japanese Maple #28”.

If Walter can move those trunks, you can certainly move yours!
Adair...that is really amazing yamadori of Mr. Pall's. What I have is 7-8 year old tridents. Which both Sergio and I liked the tall elegance they seem to have. They aren't for everyone...and I get that. I appreciate your advice...but, I'm working with one teacher on this. We aren't done with it yet. It has years to develop. But I don't ever see it looking as Mr. Pall's material. Not even in the same ballpark. But cool material. I seen it on FB as well. Love how he shares progression.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Adair...that is really amazing yamadori of Mr. Pall's. What I have is 7-8 year old tridents. Which both Sergio and I liked the tall elegance they seem to have. They aren't for everyone...and I get that. I appreciate your advice...but, I'm working with one teacher on this. We aren't done with it yet. It has years to develop. But I don't ever see it looking as Mr. Pall's material. Not even in the same ballpark. But cool material. I seen it on FB as well. Love how he shares progression.
Good luck with your tree, Darlene.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Top Bottom