WTB Bald cypress

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi all. Looking for a Nice wide based bald cypress to work on. Main thing I'm looking for is a nice wide and tapered trunk. If its been wired and worked on that also ok. Finished tree is also fine but one that needs work would be best. Maybe a 3 inch main trunk with flared bottom or bigger.
Thanks.

BillsBayou

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
If you come to New Orleans this Saturday, the Greater New Orleans Bonsai Society is having their annual auction. I'm donating three large bald cypress trees. I collected them last year and I need to thin out my stock. Then you stay the night in the French Quarter. Bring your significant other. Make it a mini vacation.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Do you have a picture.
I do not currently... basically where I am at is- I just collected one a couple weeks ago, if it buds out I am probably going to sell the smaller of two that I have currently... (like the new one better- it is smaller, more the size I want for my second one).

So I should know pretty soon if I want to sell this one or not! I am NOT selling my best one though- it is pretty special IMO.

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Zach Smith at Bonsai South has very nice collected BC stock. He's got an eye for BC with nice bases.
https://bonsai-south.com/bald-cypress-bonsai-for-sale/
I've gotten a couple from him over the years.

Unfortunately, this is a bad time to be looking for collected BC. They sell pretty fast in the spring. If you have to have one now, I'd say get yourself to that NOLA auction. There are bound to be more than a few BC up for sale.

BillsBayou

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
@BillsBayou Thanks for the info. Must be nice to have to thin out your stock. I'm jealous. :D

This was my sales area at last September's "Louisiana Day of Bonsai". The trees in the large tubs were priced between $135 and $185. The three trees I'm donating (somewhere in the photo) will likely go for that range at the auction. I've only seen one of my donated trees go for over $200 one time. Bargains abound!
IMG_7236.JPG

By the way, That tree in the front may be ugly, but it has knees. I'd work on it, but I want the knees to develop more before I start on the trunk.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This was my sales area at last September's "Louisiana Day of Bonsai". The trees in the large tubs were priced between $135 and $185. The three trees I'm donating (somewhere in the photo) will likely go for that range at the auction. I've only seen one of my donated trees go for over $200 one time. Bargains abound!
View attachment 157255

By the way, That tree in the front may be ugly, but it has knees. I'd work on it, but I want the knees to develop more before I start on the trunk.
Killer slabs too BTW...

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
View attachment 157255

Thats awesome. I would love two of the trees in the tubs. Bet two would fit on a pallet. Great looking trees.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If you come to New Orleans this Saturday, the Greater New Orleans Bonsai Society is having their annual auction. I'm donating three large bald cypress trees. I collected them last year and I need to thin out my stock. Then you stay the night in the French Quarter. Bring your significant other. Make it a mini vacation.
I'll bet you have an interesting Juniper you're donating as well. ;)

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
View attachment 157255

Do you have any better photos of this one?

IMG_7236.JPG

BillsBayou

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Do you have any better photos of this one?

View attachment 157269
Vin! You've GOT to come! WhatEVER it is you win, I'm putting that f'n-ugly warped pot into your stack. I can do that. I'm working as a tree-runner at the auction. Then you can put it in my stack at next year's Ft. Walton auction, and so on, and so on...

I think I still have the tree you pointed out. This is the base:
IMG_7242.JPG

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I carve those myself. Have you seen my video? I'll post a link if you haven't.

Love your videos. If you ever decide to sell a nice one please let me know. There is a place only 15 miles from me that sells both pond and bald cypress. He said the trunk's are about 4 inches but I would be paying for a whole tree. $270 picked up. 45 gallon container. May be worth looking into. I would need to find out the best time to chop because I would just have them chop the top off before loading it into my truck. My understanding its not a good time for a chop and root prune now. I understand when you cop you should also reduce root mass??

BillsBayou

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Love your videos. If you ever decide to sell a nice one please let me know. There is a place only 15 miles from me that sells both pond and bald cypress. He said the trunk's are about 4 inches but I would be paying for a whole tree. $270 picked up. 45 gallon container. May be worth looking into. I would need to find out the best time to chop because I would just have them chop the top off before loading it into my truck. My understanding its not a good time for a chop and root prune now. I understand when you cop you should also reduce root mass??
I have difficulty giving advice on nursery-grown bald cypress. I get all of mine for free. That said, if it were me, I'd follow the same protocols with a large nursery BC as I would a swamp-dug tree. Wait until a time in January/February just before the buds break. Then take it out the pot, cut the root ball down, chop the trunk, and remove all branches below the chop. Submerge it for the first year.

The amount of roots I leave on a BC is determined by the depth of the growing tubs. If I were to do something similar to a tree in a 45-gallon pot, I'd have to check the distribution of roots first. Nurseries up-pot their trees by putting the tree into a larger pot and topping it off with more soil. This is okay if you're eventually dropping the tree into a landscape. However, it may mean that the original surface roots are deep in the pot. Further, as the BC is potted into deeper and deeper pots, new root growth will sprout from the trunk. It'll do so with an uneven distribution. Just chopping the root ball could be the worst thing to do. Be sure to check the first few inches of the trunk below the soil line before you buy the tree.

I've never shipped trees. If I did ship one to Texas, I'd have to get a fire-ant certificate because parts of Texas are still outside the fire ant's distribution area. The closest I get to Dallas is Shreveport. When the Louisiana Day of Bonsai is in Shreveport, I go up there with some trees and slabs and a couple dozen 5-gallon bags of bonsai soil. That would be about a 3-hour drive for you, though.

You can contact Charles Canfield or Jane Hall with the Shreveport Bonsai Society to see if there is anyone they know of who sells bald cypress for bonsai.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Vin! You've GOT to come! WhatEVER it is you win, I'm putting that f'n-ugly warped pot into your stack. I can do that. I'm working as a tree-runner at the auction. Then you can put it in my stack at next year's Ft. Walton auction, and so on, and so on...

I think I still have the tree you pointed out. This is the base:
View attachment 157271
LOL! That was a heck of package deal you got. :rolleyes:

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have difficulty giving advice on nursery-grown bald cypress. I get all of mine for free. That said, if it were me, I'd follow the same protocols with a large nursery BC as I would a swamp-dug tree. Wait until a time in January/February just before the buds break. Then take it out the pot, cut the root ball down, chop the trunk, and remove all branches below the chop. Submerge it for the first year.

The amount of roots I leave on a BC is determined by the depth of the growing tubs. If I were to do something similar to a tree in a 45-gallon pot, I'd have to check the distribution of roots first. Nurseries up-pot their trees by putting the tree into a larger pot and topping it off with more soil. This is okay if you're eventually dropping the tree into a landscape. However, it may mean that the original surface roots are deep in the pot. Further, as the BC is potted into deeper and deeper pots, new root growth will sprout from the trunk. It'll do so with an uneven distribution. Just chopping the root ball could be the worst thing to do. Be sure to check the first few inches of the trunk below the soil line before you buy the tree.

I've never shipped trees. If I did ship one to Texas, I'd have to get a fire-ant certificate because parts of Texas are still outside the fire ant's distribution area. The closest I get to Dallas is Shreveport. When the Louisiana Day of Bonsai is in Shreveport, I go up there with some trees and slabs and a couple dozen 5-gallon bags of bonsai soil. That would be about a 3-hour drive for you, though.

You can contact Charles Canfield or Jane Hall with the Shreveport Bonsai Society to see if there is anyone they know of who sells bald cypress for bonsai.

Thank you for all the advice and info. Greatly appreciated. I'll go dig down into the pots at the place near me. By January I should be able to find one. Want a bald and a pond.

Top Bottom