WTB Prunus Mume cuttings

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
As the title states...
I'm looking to buy ~10 or so prunus mume cuttings to put into the ground. Interested in the white flowering and pink/"red" as long as they are good growers. I'm also willing to trade if interested.

Wouldn't mind some 'Kiyo Hime' and 'Arakawa' Japanese maple cuttings too..

Thanks in Advance,
Joe

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Check out Evergreen Gardenworks. They have a large selection.
Thanks for the reply. I am aware they sell them, but they are $18 for a 2 1/2 pot so its not the most economical option for a larger quantity. If I was only buying 1 or 2, or if I was looking for a select cultivar, I'd definitely go to Brent for sure.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
My understanding is that Ume are quite difficult to strike from cuttings. I have 4 ume that I purchased from Brent years ago. They grow like weeds once established so you might think about getting a few plants to grow out for 2 or 3 years then use them as your cutting source... just a thought.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
My understanding is that Ume are quite difficult to strike from cuttings. I have 4 ume that I purchased from Brent years ago. They grow like weeds once established so you might think about getting a few plants to grow out for 2 or 3 years then use them as your cutting source... just a thought.
Thanks for the input;

I actually should have specified- they don't have to be Cuttings because I'm not looking for a specific cultivar. I would be equally happy with seedlings. I've read they flower in a few years if planted in the ground from seed. Even just seeds would be fine.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Sorry, they wouldn't be allowed to be sent across the Atlantic...

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
My understanding is that Ume are quite difficult to strike from cuttings.
I get about a 20% success rate just by sticking them in a big tub of garden compost alongside other plants. However it takes a very long time for them to develop roots - they'll push leaves and remain alive, but not produce any root growth for up to a year. My methods could probably be improved though :)

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks for the input;

I actually should have specified- they don't have to be Cuttings because I'm not looking for a specific cultivar. I would be equally happy with seedlings. I've read they flower in a few years if planted in the ground from seed. Even just seeds would be fine.

From Peter Tea's blog, "Unlike other flowering trees that may take 1-15 years before they bloom, Flowering Plum is much more unpredictable. So far, it seems that a tree will start to bloom somewhere between 20 year and 100+ years! I know this to be true because we have a Flowering plum that was grown from seed in the yard that is over 100 years old and one of the lower branches still won’t bloom. This unpredictability is the reason why people tend to graft instead."

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
From Peter Tea's blog, "Unlike other flowering trees that may take 1-15 years before they bloom, Flowering Plum is much more unpredictable. So far, it seems that a tree will start to bloom somewhere between 20 year and 100+ years! I know this to be true because we have a Flowering plum that was grown from seed in the yard that is over 100 years old and one of the lower branches still won’t bloom. This unpredictability is the reason why people tend to graft instead."
Hmm. I'm not sure then. Brent sells prunus mume seedlings, and says they will flower in 3-5 years if allowed to grow freely. He is an expert so I trust his opinion. You mentioned flowering plum; I'm looking for flowering apricot- so maybe we're talking about different species?

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Hmm. I'm not sure then. Brent sells prunus mume seedlings, and says they will flower in 3-5 years if allowed to grow freely. He is an expert so I trust his opinion. You mentioned flowering plum; I'm looking for flowering apricot- so maybe we're talking about different species?
Peter Tea is discussing P. mume in those articles; apricot and plum are generally interchangeable names for (m)ume. They are notoriously difficult to root from cuttings; I have tried dozens over the years and have yet to get one to root.

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Speaking of which… I just purchased one Prunus mume ‘Bonita’ (JAPANESE UME APRICOT) sapling from Forest Farm.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
They don't sell any white ones, or at least that I saw... I'm also very curious as to how big the $30 plants are

Owen Reich

Shohin
Reaction score
Forest Farm is a good resource.

Another resource I use is Camellia Forest Nursery. They are primarily
mail order, but I drive there to buy big trees. They have between 10-15 cultivars (all from cuttings).

@William N. Valavanis also sells Prunus mume cuttings that are reasonably priced.

Prunus mume are easy to root once you fail a dozen times..... Timing is key; I cannot tell you when as every propagation mist house is different. I will say that fungicide treatments are necessary no matter what as the trees have more sugar in them than a Krispy Cream doughnut. I'll start rooting them again in the coming years once my prop house is up.

Top Bottom