Wulfskaar's Liquidambars (Sweetgum) from seeds

ERClover

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
They are starting to turn this last week!

View attachment 515456
They are looking great! There is a big Sweetgum across the road from me that turns a brilliant orange every autumn. It is what is I assume the mother of many of the seedlings that grow like weeds around my property (though there’s a couple other less brilliantly colored so who knows). It’s so interesting to see the differences in them. There’s one I’ve let grow all year by my mailbox that has been uniformly purple for several weeks now. Another growing nearby has been pretty bland. Another in my landscaping has been hacked back over the course of years and I think will make an interesting tree which has yet to even turn at all. Trying to keep my eye out for nice colored volunteers to transplant and develop.

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Just wanted to not something strange I noticed. You can see where the 2023 growth is separated from the 2022 growth. It's actually a bit thicker in 2023.

IMG_20231228_132542.jpg

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I have decided to keep these as a forest and I'll actually be adding to them when I repot in the coming days.

Because of this, I'm not concerned with the trunks getting too thick. I would rather try to get more branching and ramification down lower.

QUESTION: They are getting tall and it's repotting time. Should I prune them down now before the buds pop? If not, when would be the best time?

ERClover

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I have decided to keep these as a forest and I'll actually be adding to them when I repot in the coming days.

Because of this, I'm not concerned with the trunks getting too thick. I would rather try to get more branching and ramification down lower.

QUESTION: They are getting tall and it's repotting time. Should I prune them down now before the buds pop? If not, when would be the best time?
I just pulled three volunteers from the ground last weekend in central VA as their buds from last year were starting to swell but hadn’t popped. All have already started fresh buds lower on the trunk. It’s actually crazy. The biggest one a squirrel even dug out while I was away traveling this week, thankfully it has been wet here and most of the roots were still in contact with the soil. Doesn’t seem to have skipped a beat. I had everything on my deck last year and can’t recall ever having a squirrel problem but I built a custom bench last year that is now down on ground level and they seem to be messing around with my trees. Dogs might be getting lazy too who knows.

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Repotted today into a box. Added one tree that was a volunteer in another pot.
I plan to keep adding trees as I go. There should be plenty of room to grow for another couple years.

IMG_20240310_144931.jpg

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I had a little bit of moss, so decided to try the method of chopping it with some sphagnum and placing it on the soil. We'll see how it turns out.

IMG_20240317_123949.jpg

Top Bottom