Wulfskaar's Shishigashira Maple (Lion's Head)

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Thanks @SeanS, it really helps me to get the visuals as well! I'll be watching closely over the next several weeks!

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Much thanks to SeanS. Heard "bud break" thrown around a lot. Good to see what that actually looks like.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I just noticed that some jerky squirrel has tried to rip off a strip of bark. 😡
They have been particularly destructive here this spring, digging and chewing on everything.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Damn those little bastards! Trim that strip clean and apply cut paste. It should heal without any issues.

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Back again! I love how bright green the leaves are after emerging! I will be attempting my first ever air layer(s) this year.

View attachment 480206
Good luck! They are really beautiful cultivar. I volunteered at an arboretum that had a large one and was so nice in the fall. My first air layer on the species took longer then others I’ve done to get roots. I just did 7 air layers on my Shishigashira a month ago. Wanted to do all the branches and use for a forest then move to the primary trunk right above the graft for my larger future bonsai in the following years. I did up to three on a single branch and it looks like the ones on the top may not make it but The other five look healthy. I wish you the best that yours does good. If it doesn’t take this year for whatever reason and the tree is still alive. Do not give up.

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Good luck! They are really beautiful cultivar. I volunteered at an arboretum that had a large one and was so nice in the fall. My first air layer on the species took longer then others I’ve done to get roots. I just did 7 air layers on my Shishigashira a month ago. Wanted to do all the branches and use for a forest then move to the primary trunk right above the graft for my larger future bonsai in the following years. I did up to three on a single branch and it looks like the ones on the top may not make it but The other five look healthy. I wish you the best that yours does good. If it doesn’t take this year for whatever reason and the tree is still alive. Do not give up.
Thanks! I'm sure I'll be looking for guidance when it comes time.

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I'm getting ready to perform my first air layer and I'm looking for input if anyone is willing to share opinions. These pics are from about 14 months ago, so it has grown a bit since then.

First thought is to air layer off the top part (1) to make a broom style tree. But, I'm also open to air layering each of those branches to make a forest, like @BrightsideB mentioned. Then cut off the extra part (2) or air layer later.

Then, after a year or two, I'd air (or ground) layer the bottom to get it on it's own roots (3).

Would anyone do this differently? I'm totally open to suggestions before I pull the trigger. Thanks!

IMG_20220221_085847.jpgIMG_20220221_085847 - Copy (2).jpg

Cruiser

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I'm getting ready to perform my first air layer and I'm looking for input if anyone is willing to share opinions. These pics are from about 14 months ago, so it has grown a bit since then.

First thought is to air layer off the top part (1) to make a broom style tree. But, I'm also open to air layering each of those branches to make a forest, like @BrightsideB mentioned. Then cut off the extra part (2) or air layer later.

Then, after a year or two, I'd air (or ground) layer the bottom to get it on it's own roots (3).

Would anyone do this differently? I'm totally open to suggestions before I pull the trigger. Thanks!

View attachment 484284View attachment 484289
Layering just the top or only part of it seems like the safest option. If the layers fail, you’ll still have your tree and will also have acquired some experience.

On the other hand, it would be nice to get the mother tree on its own roots sooner by layering above the graft. The more foliage it has, the quicker that process can take place.

I was in a similar position as you when deciding how to handle a vine maple. After some guidance from SantaFeBonsai, I chose to layer above my trees graft before doing anything else to it.

Last edited:

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Layering just the top or only part of it seems like the safest option. If the layers fail, you’ll still have your tree and will also have acquired some experience.

On the other hand, it would be nice to get the mother tree on its own roots sooner by layering above the graft. The more foliage it has, the quicker that process can take place.

I was in a similar position as you when deciding how to handle a vine maple. After some guidance from SantaFeBonsai, I chose to layer above my trees graft before doing anything else to it.
Thanks Cruiser. I had not considered that. It's my first ever air layer attempt, so I'm a bit too nervous to risk the whole tree. I will consider it though.

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I have attempted to air layer in two places at the end of May. I just checked one of them and sadly, there are no roots! It has formed some callusing but that's it. I tried to scrape a bit more in case I had not scraped enough, but not sure what to do. I have not yet checked the 2nd one but I don't see roots yet through the plastic.

Do I just let it go until spring?
Do I reinjure it and again add rooting hormone?
Should I add a tourniquet?

End of May (I did do some additional scraping after pics taken).
IMG_20230530_181638.jpgIMG_20230530_183442.jpg

7/30/2023 Looks like callusing but are those roots starting to form?
IMG_20230730_144937.jpg

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I also had an air layer that didn't quite take, which I talked about in this thread:

(note: the title should be "... for SPRING separation") but I'm just now noticing that typo.

It's unclear if your airlayer has bridged, but I think my pics in that thread are a good example of what that could look like.

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I also had an air layer that didn't quite take, which I talked about in this thread:

(note: the title should be "... for SPRING separation") but I'm just now noticing that typo.

It's unclear if your airlayer has bridged, but I think my pics in that thread are a good example of what that could look like.
I did read through it earlier. Thanks!

Top Bottom