Yamadori Rocky Mountain Juniper First Styling

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
This tree was collected in 2009 by a friend in British Columbia. He sent it to me fresh off the mountain and since then I have watered fertilized and cut it to develop the pre-bonsai. Today it received its first styling.

I'm happy with how the tree came out. The balance is very different from any other tree in my backyard but I think it is interesting. The trunk leans heavily to the left, the key branch thrusts out to the left, but I would say the overall movement of the tree is to the right thanks to the direction of the apex. I think this helps create a balanced image, although some may disagree.

Thanks for looking, lots more pics here.

PbmH6.jpg

adVCa.jpg

EYcun.jpg
Fresh off the mountain in 2009.

Last edited:

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Amkalid. I'm not at all sure about the whole right vs left thing (maybe our eyes are just different, but the tree just looks unpleasantly unbalanced to me), but what stands out is a prime opportunity lost, and that is that the top draws the eye away from the wonderful deadwood configuration you've developed at the base.

I'm an advocate for Dan Robinson's "Focal Point Bonsai" approach to styling. The basic points go as follows, if you don't know it. [just creating my own rendition of these points - you can find them in original form elsewhere.

1. Every tree should have a focal point, an interesting feature that naturally draws the eye.

2. The focal point will most often be near the base, and deadwood features are the most powerful, since they strongly catch and draw the eye.

3. The rest of the tree, whatever other type of styling you use, should be designed to frame and accentuate that focal point. Branch placement is key in this regard.

On a well designed tree, the eye will naturally go first to the focal point, and will like to rest there, exploring it, examining it, enjoying it. After a while, the eye will naturally wander over the rest of the tree as well, yet always returning to the focal point, examining and enjoying the way the rest of the tree is related to it, imagining the story of the tree's growth and life in relationship to the drama of the focal point.

Your image not only looks jarringly off balance, which draws the eye unpleasantly, but it detracts from that great base, where the tree's story of struggle - and it's true beauty - lies. Get rid of that base - block it with you hand (which is what your eye will do with it anyway, the way it is configured) - and look at just the top, and you've got a stick in a pot, and a stick in a pot with inherently-not-all-that-great RMJ foliage. And yet, re-configure that same RMJ foliage such that it subtly leads the eye back to that wonderful base, and you've and ancient survivor up in the rugged mountains of British Columbia.

Hope that helps.

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here's a quick virt.

Attachments

• Am'sRMJ.jpg
    Am'sRMJ.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 55

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Thanks for the virt and comments grouper. I agree the balance is not correct. It needs to go much more heavily to the right. The branch on the right will be grown out more to become the primary branch. The branches on the left will stay but will be redirected to the right. Also a small adjustment to a Jin at the base will be made.

If the tree grows well these adjustments will be made in about a month, then I will update.

Thanks again!

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hello amkhalid.. This is a very nice tree. I also like grouper's virt very much..Just a word of caution. If you take anymore off of this tree any time soon, you might be risking the trees health. In my opinion.. I would let this tree bush out like it was before. Then, when it is really strong, say within 1 1/2 - 2 years, then cut back to this design. Usually when junis are stripped down like this, they are left to grow out again and then cut back. Just my thoughts..

It is a very elegant tree.

Rob

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
btw... nice job of wiring... and if it were on a completely different trunk I'd deeply appreciate your design... but it would have to be on a elegant and juvenile trunk. But AWESOME job of not being afraid of DOING... HUZZA!!!!!!

V

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Just a word of caution. If you take anymore off of this tree any time soon, you might be risking the trees health. In my opinion.. I would let this tree bush out like it was before. Then, when it is really strong, say within 1 1/2 - 2 years, then cut back to this design. Usually when junis are stripped down like this, they are left to grow out again and then cut back.

I wholeheartedly agree, Rob.

Top Bottom