You might know this

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What is wrong with this pomegranate in the 1st and 2nd pic. The 3rd pic is normal leaves.
Bonhe

P/S: this is a little quiz, so feel free to let us know your opinion :)

Attachments

• DSC_1381.jpg
    DSC_1381.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 95
  • DSC_1383.jpg
    DSC_1383.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 107
  • DSC_1384.jpg
    DSC_1384.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 75

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
It looks like my peach leaves when I forget to dormant spray.

M.B.

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't know either but I have a dwarf pom. that did exactly what your leaves look like. I figured it was some sort of fungus problem and resolved to spray this winter.
Mary B.

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't know either but I have a dwarf pom. that did exactly what your leaves look like. I figured it was some sort of fungus problem and resolved to spray this winter.
Mary B.

No reason to spray, this phenomenon happens every year, mo matter what you do. The good news is that it doesn't seem to affect the health of the tree, or the growth of the new shoots.

On my trees, it happens every year, mostly during late summer. Then it goes away, and the leaves look "normal" again.

crhabq

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The leaves are infected with a microscopic mite, an eriophyd mite. The leaves should be treated with neem early in the growing season as once the leaves start to curl its difficult to get the neem into the affected areas. This problem was discussed about two months ago at my bonsai club and the advice was given by a county extension agent.

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The leaves are infected with a microscopic mite, an eriophyd mite. The leaves should be treated with neem early in the growing season as once the leaves start to curl its difficult to get the neem into the affected areas. This problem was discussed about two months ago at my bonsai club and the advice was given by a county extension agent.

This may be a good explanation, thanks for the info.
The only question is, was this aphid actually seen and identified with a microscope by somebody, or is it an educated guess?

Treating with neem oil may be a good solution for somebody with one or two small bonsai, but for someone in my shoes, where I have a 20 feet tall, fully grown pomegranate tree in my backyard, and another group of 25 small trees growing in the ground for future bonsai it would be impossible to cover my whole backyard with ten gallons of neem. I imagine that if you eradicate the whole population of these aphids in your backyard, and just a few of them survive on some leaves that were not treated (or their eggs may survive from the last season), then they will be back again next year.
It is also interesting to see how specialize these things are: strictly the pomegranate leaves are affected, and all the other species around it are totally untouched by them.

But, as I said, they never did any noticeable harm, so I just leave them alone.

Last edited:

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Attila Soos;37902 Treating with [I said:
neem oil[/I] may be a good solution for somebody with one or two small bonsai, but for someone in my shoes, where I have a 20 feet tall, fully grown pomegranate tree in my backyard, and another group of 25 small trees growing in the ground for future bonsai it would be impossible to cover my whole backyard with ten gallons of neem.

My crop dusting services can be had for a modest price Attila ....

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
My guess is ph level .... have seen that effect on other trees due to incorrect ph level.

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
I agree with Atilla here. It's "normal" foliage for a twisted pomegranate. I assume this is from a twisted variety of pomegranate. Right Bonhe? When it's too dry, the new foliage will twist a bit more in the beginning , but will straighten out as it grows out when watered well.

CRHABQ's idea about a mite infestation is actually pretty good too I think. If this tree had been a Brush Cherry (Syzigium species), then I would definitely think mite infection first. But as far as I know, pomegranates are not supposed to get those mites.

Si

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Si, this phenomenon happens in any kind of pomegranate. The one in the pictures is not a twisted pomegranate. However, you're right about the cause of deformed leaves. I agree with Attila's observation. This pomegranate didn't receive enough water or it got water unevenly (it means in some area of rootage received enough water and other area didn't). Like Attila's statement, it doesn't affect the health of the tree, and those leaves will be back to normal shape in no time.

Bonus question :p: when you see the pomegranate's fruit cracked, what do you think? Now it's dark outside, otherwise I will take a picture to support my question. Bonhe

Reaction score
pomegranite leaf curl

What is wrong with this pomegranate in the 1st and 2nd pic. The 3rd pic is normal leaves.
Bonhe

P/S: this is a little quiz, so feel free to let us know your opinion :)

bonhe
here's a pic of my pomegranite which also has some leaf curl on a few of the branches.
most of the leaves are normal size.

Attachments

• pomegranite #2.JPG
    pomegranite #2.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 77
  • pomegranite #1.JPG
    pomegranite #1.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi art-Rodriguez, you have a nice tree. Did it have any fruit up there? Bonhe

Reaction score
pomegranite

Hi art-Rodriguez, you have a nice tree. Did it have any fruit up there? Bonhe

bonhe
my tree did not flower or bear fruit this summer.
the year before i did get one flower from it but no fruit.
i acquired this tree several years ago from roy nagatoshi from sylmar, ca.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
bonhe
my tree did not flower or bear fruit this summer.
the year before i did get one flower from it but no fruit.
i acquired this tree several years ago from roy nagatoshi from sylmar, ca.
I think because the temparature in your area is not suitable for tropical tree, is it? My pomegranates have a lot of flowers and fruits from spring till winter! Bonhe

Reaction score
pomegranite

I think because the temparature in your area is not suitable for tropical tree, is it? My pomegranates have a lot of flowers and fruits from spring till winter! Bonhe

bonhe
i am pretty sure you are correct but despite not living in a hotter climate my tree has grown very well this summer after repotting it in spring and using a more alkaline soil mix. i added some lime to the soil mix when i repotted. we do have some hot temperature days especially this summer and i keep my tree under full sun all day. probably southern calif. is the ideal climate for pomegranite which is where my tree is from.

Top Bottom