your first forrest

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The pot needed to be that deep because the trees came straight from the field with long taproots going down. After cutting them back a bit and leaving them in this pot for 2 years they should be ready for some more cutting back a more shallow pot.

We got time ;)
Who was giving the class?

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
you could have changed the angles on the sides some to let the outer tree's lean some
See... I'm just opposite. I see these forest sprawled out like a Porcupine. Little tiny round earth? I like a more upright forest. Slight outward leaning okay but... Only an opinion from a somewhat newbee.
Regardless Fonze. Looks GOOD!

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
See... I'm just opposite. I see these forest sprawled out like a Porcupine. Little tiny round earth? I like a more upright forest. Slight outward leaning okay but... Only an opinion from a somewhat newbee.
Regardless Fonze. Looks GOOD!

I agree with you on the part that it must not look like a tiny earth and thats not what i ment!
Center should be straight but the edges of a forest as you say a slight outward leaning !
the trees on the edges slant a little to get more reach for light thats IMO a natural effect but could also just be a matter of taste

You are just as newbee as i am ;)

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This is a collection of European Beech I bought from @William N. Valavanis I then used his blog post as a guide. https://valavanisbonsaiblog.com/2014/03/28/creating-a-beech-forest-bonsai/

The pot set up

View attachment 137318

The seedlings after a little root reduction

View attachment 137319

Before pruning to shape
View attachment 137320

After pruning

View attachment 137323

This was a much tougher project than I thought it would be. What's the trick for tree placement? Since the roots have been cut back, it's very difficult to keep them upright, let alone think about placement.

All in all I'm happy with my first forest.

Updated:
5CCD241A-4E01-4DCA-9334-1496D402EBEA.jpeg

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I can has forest too.

To be honest I wanted to split it up and let them grow individually but for once my wife actually likes this one so I am more than happy to keep it like this.
That said I hate the pot, I have two potential pots I can change to next repot although one maybe too shallow.

IMG_20180908_152651054.jpg

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I can has forest too.

To be honest I wanted to split it up and let them grow individually but for once my wife actually likes this one so I am more than happy to keep it like this.
That said I hate the pot, I have two potential pots I can change to next repot although one maybe too shallow.

View attachment 209016

Nice ginko forest!
My wife loves my uglyest forest atempt too so i know exactly what you mean lol
You could easy improve it tough just add some tree's over the years

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Nice ginko forest!
My wife loves my uglyest forest atempt too so i know exactly what you mean lol
You could easy improve it tough just add some tree's over the years

Yeah I think that will be the plan as long as stock is available, I guess I could take some cuttings too.
I'm actually quite ok with the idea, it has totally grown on me so now need to work on getting some shape and reduction to the foliage.

cdefoe

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
here's some sedum hernandezii i had lying around : )

kmMfUJHh.jpg

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
All the Forrest I posted in this thread are gone they had to little water and got toasted at some point 😔

Ryceman3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Here's a trident forest I put together 2 years ago. It was the first one I ever attempted so it has a few issues but I remember being pretty stoked with it after I had finished planting it out ...

I have had a bit of time to watch it grow, move some stuff around and just think about how to improve it since. Here is how it currently looks...

I'm still pretty happy with the way it is progressing. Hopefully it will improve/develop just as much in the next 2 years as it did in it's first two. Looking forward to Spring, it really takes off then and I need to be on my toes to keep it under control.
🍺

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Here's a trident forest I put together 2 years ago. It was the first one I ever attempted so it has a few issues but I remember being pretty stoked with it after I had finished planting it out ...
View attachment 254199

I have had a bit of time to watch it grow, move some stuff around and just think about how to improve it since. Here is how it currently looks...

View attachment 254200

I'm still pretty happy with the way it is progressing. Hopefully it will improve/develop just as much in the next 2 years as it did in it's first two. Looking forward to Spring, it really takes off then and I need to be on my toes to keep it under control.
🍺
Prety nice for an first attempt!
I was kinda shocked.... No leaves spring hehhhh????
But you are in Australia lol so no worries :p
Realy cool to see the trunks thickened in those two years
Looking forward to a pic with leaves

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Still healthy and on its second flush. Still a long way from good yet. But it's fun and people love it who have no bonsai knowledge. LOLIMG_20190724_165532682_HDR.jpg

Top Bottom