Zelkova Broom Style

Randolph

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello everyone I need some assistance to identify a problem with My zelkova. Several weeks ago I completed a partial defoliation and some pinching and leaf cutting to increase rammification, and did a preventative copper spray on this tree because a some of my tridents had anthracnose. I noticed a few black spots on the leaves which I didnt take a picture of and now I noticed the discoloration is worsening. It very hot here and I've had this tree in full sun and haven't let it dry out completely. Could this be a fungus or is it leaf scorch? If you suspect fungus what type and how should I treat it, if leaf scorch what the treatment as well. Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_7445.jpg
    IMG_7445.jpg
    275.3 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_7446.jpg
    IMG_7446.jpg
    320.3 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_7448.jpg
    IMG_7448.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_7449.jpg
    IMG_7449.jpg
    218.5 KB · Views: 60
  • unnamed (1).jpg
    unnamed (1).jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 62

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Nice little tree. It could be fungal or chemical burn, but I haven’t had this issue using copper, or any other fungicide. I also haven’t had fungal issues with zelkova before.

Any chance the damage is mechanical? Were you rough with the leaves when you were working on it?

Either way, I would stop treating it for a week or two, stop working on it, and just water it correctly. See how the new leaves grow. If they emerge healthy, it may have been chemical or mechanical. If they emerge damaged, it’s likely fungal, and probably something copper didn’t help. In that case, I might try Mancozeb as an alternative fungicide.

Top Bottom