zelkova

zelk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Here is one of my 2 year old Zelkova Serrata seedlings that im growing inside of a 5 gallon pot. None of the others are showing these curly leaves, does anybody know if this is a deficiency of some sort? i did not see any pests on the leaves.

Attachments

• P1050078.jpg
    P1050078.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 95

DaveV

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
If it progresses quickly, I would suspect the roots are getting too much water. A 5 gallon pot seems too big for a 2 year old seedling. What I mean by this is that you can hurt a tree by over-potting. Just my thought.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
That doesn't look like a zelkova...could it be that something else sprouted in the can this spring? Hackberry nearby?

zelk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
If it progresses quickly, I would suspect the roots are getting too much water. A 5 gallon pot seems too big for a 2 year old seedling. What I mean by this is that you can hurt a tree by over-potting. Just my thought.

sorry my mistake, its more like a 2 gallon pot :eek:

That doesn't look like a zelkova...could it be that something else sprouted in the can this spring? Hackberry nearby?

Correct, I have some hackberry. I must be getting them confused. I have other trees which i believe are hackberries because they have rounder and thicker leaves when compared to the one showed above, ill take more pictures tomorrow.

grog

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nothing wrong with some extra hackberries imo, nice trees.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
sorry my mistake, its more like a 2 gallon pot :eek:

Correct, I have some hackberry. I must be getting them confused. I have other trees which i believe are hackberries because they have rounder and thicker leaves when compared to the one showed above, ill take more pictures tomorrow.

Sometimes, late-season growth can be a little deformed...thicker, smaller leaves that emerge etoliated. Shouldn't be a problem.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's a hackberry...New zelkova growth tends to have reddish margins on the leaves. Hackberries don't, also leaves are the wrong shape and veined differently than zelkova.

Top Bottom