Best time for carving

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I am planning some carving of the flat chop on my big bald cypress and am torn over when would be the best time to do it. There seems to be two different schools of thought on this with some seeming to prefer dormant season, whereas others say do it when the tree is actively growing so it will immediately begin to heal. Right now my BC is actively growing so is this the time to go for it or should I have attacked it back in Feb/Mar? This will be some deep carving as I plan to hollow out the upper 6-8” leaving just the large branches that have grown out there. Your thoughts and experience appreciated.

Dmvbonsai

Mame
Reaction score
I can’t answer because I do not know, but I would love to see the tree lol.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I am planning some carving of the flat chop on my big bald cypress and am torn over when would be the best time to do it. There seems to be two different schools of thought on this with some seeming to prefer dormant season, whereas others say do it when the tree is actively growing so it will immediately begin to heal. Right now my BC is actively growing so is this the time to go for it or should I have attacked it back in Feb/Mar? This will be some deep carving as I plan to hollow out the upper 6-8” leaving just the large branches that have grown out there. Your thoughts and experience appreciated.
For bald cypress, if the tree is healthy, it doesn't matter when you carve. Bald cypress as lumber is highly weather resistant. It doesn't rot easily so carve away whenever you are ready to carve. For me, I carve my BC in the summer after the spring growth has harden. I usually then pruned and wire the tree so things are out of the way and I can carve. This is purely so that my clumsiness won't cause damage to the tender branches.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Dead wood can be worked any time of year, but I like carving into live wood when the tree is actively growing well. I only carved my baldie during spring and summer months and was always happy to see callus forming within 3-4 weeks of the work.
Agree. When I carve the flat chops on my BCs, I like to do it during the growing season so I can see callus rolling over the edge of the carved area. I often adjust a little bit more once I see the direction of the callus formation.

Jthom123

Seedling
Reaction score
Agree. When I carve the flat chops on my BCs, I like to do it during the growing season so I can see callus rolling over the edge of the carved area. I often adjust a little bit more once I see the direction of the callus formation.
How long does your growing season last. You're in Louisiana right?

Top Bottom