Bonsai Fairy is Real !!!

Then I ask myself why do I post in the first place? To which the answer quickly comes, because I do so for me! I an proud of my work and want to show it off! I worked hard doing it, had to endure years of folks yelling me what I could and could not do, and figured out for myself what could and could not be done. Most of what I was told along the way was BS anyways.
Many of us, who've been doing this only for a few years, don't have much to "show off". So we post what we're working on, hoping to get feedback, ideas, suggestions. When we don't get much (or anything), we tend to stop posting. You are at a different point on the curve - you've been doing this for longer, have more experience, have trees that are developed enough to show off.

Someone a post or two ago stated that a response like "cool tree" seemed a bit hollow and I do feel that way...wondering if you do too? I look at a lot of trees here, tend to comment on either (1) those that really wow me, or (2) those that I have a suggestion for or a question about. Most trees fall somewhere in between so I don't comment. I guess I could write "nice tree" but is that really helpful...or does it just sound like a platitude?

I always enjoy seeing your threads, Stacy. You push the limits a lot of times with the material. I get how it can be disappointing to put work into sharing the documentation then getting no responses. Sometimes, I don't really have anything to add though. "Cool tree" just seems like a hollow response. I've posted threads and got nothing before. I mean, at least tell me the tree is a worthless piece of crap. :p When I first started with bonsai I got bunch of tropical material and I've been trying to reduce that and increase material that will sit outside all year. I've tried to be somewhat thrifty so a lot of my material is growing out or a ways from looking decent at all, so I haven't made any point to post it. I just think, would I want to see this if it were someone else's junk instead of mine? Sorry, kind of went off on a tangent here I guess.
I totally get it!
I think it would be safe to say that regardless of who it is that visits this site we have all have had these same feelings!

The problem is that what I have come to realize is that through all the crap and the endless arguments over stuff that didn't even matter, the ignores, the no comments, etc... is that what we ended up with was just posts here about jiberish.

As you know from FB, I have always posted work I am doing on pretty much a daily basis. I do this not to try and show how great I, or my work is... quite the contrary, I am an Artist and feel the need to express myself. The Internet let's us easily do this with very little effort. We can reach hundreds if not thousands of people with a single post. And at the same time be inspired to work more and harder at our art from the images we see others posting. This is a good thing! When I see an image of a tree that someone else has done, I am like shit, I need to get to work! And it pushes me to become that much better...
I hope the work I posted does the same!

Whether comments or no comments, sharing does this... and is most definitely better than arguing over whether or not we should have a dislike button...

I just figure that out of the 3,000 views I get with only a like 10 comments... that hopefully someone out there has an oh shit moment when viewing what I post and wants to get to work! On the flip side I just figure if I work harder and post more the chances of someone commenting greatly increase. .. at least I hope! LOL!

Many of us, who've been doing this only for a few years, don't have much to "show off". So we post what we're working on, hoping to get feedback, ideas, suggestions. When we don't get much (or anything), we tend to stop posting. You are at a different point on the curve - you've been doing this for longer, have more experience, have trees that are developed enough to show off.

Someone a post or two ago stated that a response like "cool tree" seemed a bit hollow and I do feel that way...wondering if you do too? I look at a lot of trees here, tend to comment on either (1) those that really wow me, or (2) those that I have a suggestion for or a question about. Most trees fall somewhere in between so I don't comment. I guess I could write "nice tree" but is that really helpful...or does it just sound like a platitude?
Yes, but I get the same no replies as you do! This seems to be a common occurrence no matter who posts... it's funny cause it is a whole forum based on the notion of Bonsai and the discussion of Bonsai, yet the only thing anyone ever wants to talk about is usually non bonsai related?

My car is ready, finally! So, will have to leave it at that, sorry! Got to get home so I can work on my trees! Will be posting more for no one to comment on soon! Lol!

Yes, but I get the same no replies as you do! This seems to be a common occurrence no matter who posts... it's funny cause it is a whole forum based on the notion of Bonsai and the discussion of Bonsai, yet the only thing anyone ever wants to talk about is usually non bonsai related?
That's just a cover...this place really isn't about bonsai at all. It may have been at one point, but that ship seems to have sailed.

Freely admitting I was not able to read the entire thread- I'd just say this: The attitude that permeates American culture is "I want it NOW"!!! BIGGER BETTER FASTER MORE. I always thought Bonsai was about patience, simplicity, horticulture art... But we seem to be making it VERY American in some areas especially- who can spend the most to accelerate the process of creating a great tree down to the shortest possible amount of time! What is the MOST impressive, MOST powerful, coolest looking thing I can cram in a Bonsai tray and call a Bonsai?

On one hand it almost seems like cheating/ taking short cuts... On the other, isn't collecting cool old twisted up trees from the mountains kind of how Bonsai got started? So,... Maybe we are just doing it the right way here... The way they USED to do it in Japan, until their "gold rush" collected and all the cool old trees had been taken from the mountains and they were forced to grow their own cool old looking trees from cuttings, seedlings and nursery stock?

It is an interesting point to discuss on a Bonsai forum certainly.

sawgrass: "As far as growing from seed itself... yes one can..." And one should if one lives in the tropics. The growth timeline speeds up a lot. Tamarindius seedlings are a blast and they get barking quickly. Great to watch develop.

I don't think I've missed a day since I started here.

The lulls in seasonal work activity mirrors the posts traffic.
Maybe Greg has a reading to confirm this.
But this site is still about bonsai.
Some of us just get along and care to talk about other stuff too.

ALSO.
especially for you 2 in the land of eternal growing! You have the ability to post Bonsai related stuff almost all year!

By default then, fault favors you!

We all have the ability to contribute Bonsai related stuff and we, myself included, should.

Don't underestimate the art of words, especially mine, which can open your mind and get synapses going that will further your artistic ability in Bonsai.
It's all related. If you have an open mind, which is what Bonsai is about.

If you can find the meaning in my "drivel", it will help you find the "tree in a tree".

"Nice tree" is an engagement, which could be replied to with, "what is your favorite part?" Or even simply ,"why?", where a -like- and moving along means less.

So, come on Florida!
Canada is whooping you!

Laughter is still the best medicine.
Happy me happy tree!

Less morons please, of the Oxy and the regular!

Sorce

Guys,

try and not depress yourselves.
Bonsai, take at least 3 years to reach their visual max. You image as best you can, and then the tree moves on. Start to appreciate that you have to have something to bring to the table. Experiences, memories, daily living, trained abilities.
The more you have in Art especially, the more you can give to the tree.

If you have no way to draw or image the finished effort, how will you achieve it some 5 to 10 years down the road, and you have say 50 such trees to train.

Are you here for pats on the back or to share, ask questions, chat with like minds, enjoy your time here ?

Each new plant will test you.

Geo has yet to see the older tamarinds, and he seems to be excited, Brother-in-law has 35 or so years of growing, grows the trees in the backyard and exhibition was never a factor. I have seen him smile as he tends the trees, knowing an image for a painting has just formed in his mind.
Relax and enjoy the company of other seekers.
Good Day
Anthony

I have seen him smile as he tends the trees, knowing an image for a painting has just formed in his mind.

This is Bonsai!
Thought!

Sorce

Sawgrass, I appreciate the basic concept you're pushing here. Which is, I believe, "to learn bonsai, DO bonsai".

If I may add a few points... It's difficult to learn how to refine trees if you don't have access to highly refined trees. To learn from.

And another point: not every stick in a pot will make a great bonsai. At least in a somewhat reasonable amount of time.

But I agree with much of what you're saying. Referring back to the Artisans Cup, most of those trees would slowly decline and die if they lived in my garden. Not that I don't know how to care for them. My climate is not right for them.

As for comparing a centuries-old yamadori to a deciduous tree grown from a cutting 40 years ago...

How can you compare them? I suppose the only way to choose which is the "better" tree would be to not judge the trees between each other, but to judge each variety against a standard that outlines what a "perfect" specimen of that variety would be.

I think this is how the judges pick from all the "Best of Breeds" at the Westminstet Dog Show. Each breed has a "standard", and each of the top dogs is judged against its own standard. The one that most closely meets its own standard wins.

Now, something like that works because there ARE standards. We don't have them in bonsai. Well, we do, but they're not as strict.

And to anyone doing bonsai, I will always say to choose the best "raw material" available. It takes less time. If I may insert a stupid analogy: would you teach a right handed person to hold a tennis racket and play with their left hand? I suppose they could eventually learn to play well, but it would take far longer than if they started with their tight hand!

Adair,

if you do Bonsai long enough, time has no meaning and thus anything can become great, but for how long?
See you later Sifu.
Good Day
Anthony

Maybe so, Anthony. But who wants to work ins crappy tree for 40 years? I'd rather work on several trees, that look better during the process.

But that's me. There are many ways to approach bonsai. Each person can develop their own ways of doing things. Or learn the ways of others. Your choice.

If I may add a few points... It's difficult to learn how to refine trees if you don't have access to highly refined trees. To learn from

The dog show bit is right on. I mean, they are all different species. This would make a lot of sense. Though we know it will not likely happen.

But the quoted. While difficult, is possible.
One can watch Bjorn refine trees on YouTube. After a few. It's clear what needs to be done. Like recutting a dog's hair.
Then one can wire pads on any juniper/pine for practice.

You can combine these two learnings and be prepared to apply them to good material when you get it.

________

If you ask someone what time is to them, you will get many different answers.
Island time, is not NYC time.

Money? Same thing.

I don't think these things should be argued about.

It is a waste of time and money!

Sorce

Adair,

if you do Bonsai long enough, time has no meaning and thus anything can become great, but for how long?
See you later Sifu.
Good Day
Anthony
Your statement would be true if one would live forever but as that is not the case you are making little sense.

The point being is how mediocre of a tree one sees is in the eyes of the beholder. I am sure my trees are extremely mediocre to those working on collected pieces that are in the A cup or any other yamadori piece.

Where one sees mediocre...I see character on my bench. So I do see where nebari and taper or the movement of said trunk speaks to me. It allows me to see "something" while it sits on my bench to be worked over the years. Draws me in...to not look for specific things in material are baffling to me. Because it's been preached nebari and such from the get go of my two years of bonsai.

When doing a a tree for a contest...I can guarantee ones are a bit more selective in their choices as well. Why is that? Because they want to win...Well I win each time I look at my trees...because I believe in picking out something in a tree that speaks to you from the start. They then call to you as they sit there on the bench...and you can envision them at another stage you may take them. But...to grab an ugly duckling unless it has character...I can't see it. I want one that draws me in for some reason...and add to it. Not to question why it's on my bench to begin with...not that I didn't have a few early on that I did find fall into that category. They now sit in flowerbeds. Because...my vision of what I want...outgrew my beginnings. Nothing wrong with that either. Because it's a testimony to where one once was...but...to say nebari or something isn't to be questioned when making a purchase...I can't grasp. Sure most material could be turned into bonsai...just because it can be...doesn't mean it should be. There should still be some rules that apply when choosing material.

Djtommy,

for us, a seed can be grown to show trunk sizes of 3 to 5 " in as little as 2 to 3 years. With 6 branch placements, and age / maturity characteristics coming in around 8 to 10 years of age.
A drawing controls the effort for the entire process, and an eraser allows for change.
So even if you just did 10 seeds a year, after 10 years you could be over saturated.

The mistake most folk make, is in not finding a source of information on how to thicken trunks, place branches and plan out a tree.

AND BE WILLING TO EXPERIMENT!!

After 20 years, well ................................................
Good Day
Anthony

Back
Top Bottom