can't identify this bonsai, please help

I am completely convinced it is a Boyd's Willow as I was from the beginning. I have 8 or 10 of them and the only difference I see is that mine have more blue in the foliage. Mine are outside where they belong. Yours are deprived of the light they need to be more blue. The one's I have were purchased while dormant late winter and they are leafed out now. I had one about 3 years ago that I kept inside and it died. It started looking bad so I moved it outside where it slowly perished over about 2 months. Damage was already done. I am convinced it developed root rot while inside. I didn't know what it was at the time as it was from a group of Fairy garden plants and was not tagged.

Hello, With the photos you sent I think that is it! I did a lot of searching prior, and the pictures I saw of these species did not look like my plant so I had to dismiss the willow. (and my "picture this" android plant ID app kept taking me on wild red herrings!) I think my plant may be young. I keep in on a sunny windowsill and it seems to like it so far. I just soak the soil and let it drain every few days. Thanks so much for the support! I will now look for caring instructions. I'm new but encouraged now. I just bought a juniper also. Uh ohh...this Bonsai thing may be a slippery slope!

I just bought a juniper also. Uh ohh...this Bonsai thing may be a slippery slope!

Hello, With the photos you sent I think that is it! I did a lot of searching prior, and the pictures I saw of these species did not look like my plant so I had to dismiss the willow. (and my "picture this" android plant ID app kept taking me on wild red herrings!) I think my plant may be young. I keep in on a sunny windowsill and it seems to like it so far. I just soak the soil and let it drain every few days. Thanks so much for the support! I will now look for caring instructions. I'm new but encouraged now. I just bought a juniper also. Uh ohh...this Bonsai thing may be a slippery slope!
OK, now that you know what it is here is some info, note the last item in the list. If you continue to keep it indoors it will die, but be careful outside as it cannot take a lot of heat. It is native to Scotland.

A favorite. A dwarf willow for the miniature garden with a growth rate of about 3" per year - although it has been growing a lot slower for us here in Seattle, Wa.

This tree is deciduous, meaning it drops its leaves in the fall to go dormant in the winter and the leaves will back in the spring.

Discovered in Scotland, Boyd's Willow grows really slowly to about 12 inches tall and it a hardy little gem for just about any miniature garden scene. Round, furry, blue-gray leaves are perched on little gnarled branches. Needs sharp, well draining soil (add and or extra perlite.)

• Round, gray-green leaves
  • Growth rate is estimated at 2 to 4" per year (in Seattle)
  • Adult height it 12" tall by 8" wide
  • Globe shaped
  • Cold hardy Zones 4 to 7, or to -30F
  • Heat Zones 7-1
  • Full sun to part sun
  • Avoid hot, summer sun if it is in a container
  • Prune if needed
  • Regular water with well-drained soil
  • Pot is 4" in diameter
  • An outdoor plant

Back
Top Bottom