Evolution of Mirai Live

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I don't see that as an issue, as the app is provided at the same price they were paying before for the membership. Minus the live steams. I rather have an app limited to 25 trees than the live streams, I'm sure there will still be some feature content alike the streams.
The app seems to be of very minimal value to standard tier users, frankly. I'm still in the wait and see camp, but there is reason to be wary--not least of which because of my experience in software where things are easier said than done.

It is disappointing to hear phrases like "democratizing education" and then charge such a high price for it. I think limiting the app, as @PowerTap mentions, is a purely financial decision. Locking the Academy to pro is also interesting, as it seems that that will be the focus of future content. So is standard just the back library, plus a knee-capped version of the app?

We will see, and I'm still optimistic, though cautiously so. It seems well suited for the beginner with a decent budget, which is pretty much myself, but I have to always consider the price against in person education, of which I have no shortage of options here in the PNW.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The app seems to be of very minimal value to standard tier users, frankly. I'm still in the wait and see camp, but there is reason to be wary--not least of which because of my experience in software where things are easier said than done.
Standard tier users didn't have access to the live streams either as far as I know. And they are still paying the same price, with the addition of the app.
It is disappointing to hear phrases like "democratizing education" and then charge such a high price for it. I think limiting the app, as @PowerTap mentions, is a purely financial decision. Locking the Academy to pro is also interesting, as it seems that that will be the focus of future content. So is standard just the back library, plus a knee-capped version of the app?
He's not charging anything additional for the app, it is still the same price you were paying before if you were a subscriber... I don't understand where people see that he is charging such a high price, when the price didn't change. Just the deletion of the live streams.

I've always been a Pro member, so I will still pay the same 29.99 with the benefit of the app. Do I agree with capping it to 25 trees, no, but then again I am not paying for the app either.
We will see, and I'm still optimistic, though cautiously so. It seems well suited for the beginner with a decent budget, which is pretty much myself, but I have to always consider the price against in person education, of which I have no shortage of options here in the PNW.
I am a beginner as well, and if I was going to track trees on this app, it would be trees that I have in pots ready for refinement, which none of my trees are at this moment. I would probably set it up as a general guide. Set up one maple and do the same for all the maples I have, one shohin pine for all of them, one Elm for all the ones I have, etc... then once any tree reaches refinement I will probably track that one on its own, and who knows, maybe by then I will probably have a system and will not need the app for nothing other than to set specific reminders.

In the end it is an individual decision, you don't want to pay for it, cool... you do, cool as well.

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Standard tier users didn't have access to the live streams either as far as I know. And they are still paying the same price, with the addition of the app.
We did, just not access to Q&A.
He's not charging anything additional for the app, it is still the same price you were paying before if you were a subscriber... I don't understand where people see that he is charging such a high price, when the price didn't change. Just the deletion of the live streams.
I think this is a naïve way of looking at it. You are paying for the subscription which includes the app. The deletion of live streams and addition of the app is a substantial move. So is the restriction of the academy courses. From what they've presented, it seems really hard to justify the price of the standard tier now, as it is essentially just the back catalog and the basic version of the app. As presented, most of the future of content will be in the academy, which is only given as a sort of trial to standard tier.

I agree that most (all?) users on the standard tier will just have one fake tree in each of the categories--there are only 4 categories of calendars available, so having one of each just to get access to the calendars makes sense.

For what it's worth, I likely will upgrade to pro. Standard has gotten way worse, and pro (if the app is good/works, if Academy content is good, updated regularly) has gotten way better.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I will freely admit that I am a "standard" subscriber. Though I use the live streams occasionally, I most often use the back catalog to refer to trees or processes when I have free time. I didn't need the live Q&A functionality, nor the special events or the forums.

If in fact these changes means the standard Mirai subscription will no longer include new weekly content... I'm not sure I will continue to subscribe. None of the Mobile app functionality is appealing to me...

Gaitano

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
As a standard user I have for years taken notes for species specific live streams. I keep my notes in a binder that is divided into sub categories similar to the app. This information provided HAS elevated my knowledge and practice. When I decided to take the hobby more seriously I subscribed and I don’t regret it one bit. I can see a measurable difference in my trees. There are still plenty of videos I haven’t yet watched so the library is still a valuable resource. I have used the search function for certain topics and found specific information located in the Q & As. For anyone who hasn’t experienced these they are easy to navigate. They have an index and a time stamp so you can skip to that specific topic for a brief albeit complete answer. There are some free but there is a ton of knowledge in the Pro library. So an upgrade to Pro, this would be another big selling point for me. As with all things new, with change, it’s always helpful to slow down, take a breath and wait for the experience.

I just went through my inventory and picked my five: black pine, lodge pole/jack pine, Shinpaku juniper, Japanese maple and chojubai(if offered), beech or Dawn redwood. The remainder of my deciduous probably don’t have any specially techniques different from the rest.

I’ll continue to keep notes in my 4” binder on notebook paper and keep up with my picture file in the computer. This is going to work.

Wood

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If in fact these changes means the standard Mirai subscription will no longer include new weekly content... I'm not sure I will continue to subscribe. None of the Mobile app functionality is appealing to me...

I really wonder how much of Mirai's appeal was partly due to the new weekly content. That gives it much more of a community, something to talk about when you get to club meetings. It's like a TV show, catching up on the latest episode. Once the show has been out for a while, the audience doesn't grow...

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I just went through my inventory and picked my five: black pine, lodge pole/jack pine, Shinpaku juniper, Japanese maple and chojubai(if offered), beech or Dawn redwood. The remainder of my deciduous probably don’t have any specially techniques different from the rest.
The 4 catalogs available in standard are pine, elongating species (spruce, hemlock, others including maybe dawn redwood?), juniper, and broadleaf deciduous. as a standard subscriber, all pines are treated the same, as are all junipers, etc.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I really wonder how much of Mirai's appeal was partly due to the new weekly content. That gives it much more of a community, something to talk about when you get to club meetings. It's like a TV show, catching up on the latest episode. Once the show has been out for a while, the audience doesn't grow...
Strangely, there wasnt much chatter about the content on here, a murmur here n there, but nothing like what youre implying. I imagine the streams would of been discussed more on the mirai forum, from week to week. The most interest you'd get here is when there was a sale on. Just my observations. I'd often see new uploads and wonder why nobody was talking about this or that. Or sharing stuff, since a lot of streams were uploaded for free viewing.

Gaitano

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
all pines are treated the same
Japanese black pines are multi flush and lodge pole/ jack pines are short needle single flush. These would be treated differently. The first is decandled where the second is not. There is also the long needle single flush, like the white pine. All techniques vary.

Junipers have sub categories or running, mounding or needle. Each have different timing for pruning.

This is a small example of how helpful the app will be.

ZombieNick

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Japanese black pines are multi flush and lodge pole/ jack pines are short needle single flush. These would be treated differently. The first is decandled where the second is not. There is also the long needle single flush, like the white pine. All techniques vary.

Junipers have sub categories or running, mounding or needle. Each have different timing for pruning.

I guess this is where I'm lost. Is it really that helpful? Couldn't he just publish the calendars for a one time fee? At the end of the day, you are paying a subscription so that the app can run a super basic query for you. I am in 10b and I have a Black Pine. App finds it's winter in 10b, and Black Pines are Multi Flush, so it directs me to the Winter section of the Multi Flush Pine calendar and lists the associated activities. This is no way "customized for your trees" its just a pointer.

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a

I was careful in my phrasing above:as a standard subscriber, all pines are treated the same, as are all junipers, etc

Only pro subscribers will have access to the species specific care calendars.
I guess this is where I'm lost. Is it really that helpful? Couldn't he just publish the calendars for a one time fee?
One time fees are pretty much dead. It's just not how software is sold in the main today, sadly. The claim that it is customized to your tree is based on the differences in stages of development/refinement. It is yet to be seen whether this is the case.

We should all probably relax and do something else with our time until it's actually released but, easier said than done 😜

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

Totally agree. For me personally, that was one of my favorite aspects of it - the community vibe. I also looked forward to new content each week.

The decision to discontinue the live streams is really a head-scratcher in my opinion. I mean, that was the bread and butter of Mirai. It was immensely popular. I just can’t understand how the live streams would be the thing to cut. Just my 2 cents….

Gaitano

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Sorry Pandacular I misunderstood what you meant. But yes I agree, we need to go do something else for a bit.

ZombieNick

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Only pro subscribers will have access to the species specific care calendars.

One time fees are pretty much dead. It's just not how software is sold in the main today, sadly. The claim that it is customized to your tree is based on the differences in stages of development/refinement. It is yet to be seen whether this is the case.

We should all probably relax and do something else with our time until it's actually released but, easier said than done 😜
BONSAIaaS😬. Stage of refinement is really just another variable in the query, the functionality is essentially the same. Personally, I only ever watched videos through the library, I never took advantage of the live streams or the forums, and I was already leaning towards cancelling as I don't log in enough anymore to justify the cost. I was excited to hear about the app, but nothing that was shown entices me to stay.

Ruddigger

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
The app is live. Straight away the UI is bad when when selecting your zone. Its cutoff the bottom of the screen

I uploaded info and a picture of my Coast redwood, and got generic information about spring repotting. Nothing about NOW being the exact right time for cutback to interior buds. Meh.

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Android or iOS? Not seeing it on Apple’s app store yet.

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Interesting, nothing over here, but I’ll keep an eye out.

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
If logging into the app is broken for you, it seems you are not alone.

Wood

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If logging into the app is broken for you, it seems you are not alone.

as a software developer, I hope people are at least a little forgiving of technical stumbles at the start. This kind of launch is always going to be hard.

But then again, you’re paying $18/mo for this app. Logging into a service is not a difficult thing

Top Bottom