Godzilla Cork bark

No offense Al... But especially with very few branches... The body of that corker looks like a big ole turd! :)

That said- and, let's be real... Someone HAD TO SAY IT- I do not own a corker yet and will refrain from making any serious attempt at legitimate advice...

Foemina.

No offense Al... But especially with very few branches... The body of that corker looks like a big ole turd! :)

That said- and, let's be real... Someone HAD TO SAY IT- I do not own a corker yet and will refrain from making any serious attempt at legitimate advice...

Foemina.
It's MR HANKY!! HOWDY HOWDY.....

Well, if you don't feel comfy layering that turd, I do. Out of all of us you should know about turds, Sir imperial masterpiece:)
I give you $50 for it now! What's that PayPal address?

So will this one be polished and covered in gold? lol

either way I like the gnarly trunk, reminds me of a native tree here that sometimes gets an ants nest inside its trunk...it later after many years looks like that :) now you just have to get the branches to have the same swelling effect. dang that would look amazing and unique

best regards
Herman

Al - isn't the problem with this tree that you have reverse taper in multiple places? That's a common issue with cork elm. I've successfully air layered a cork elm - actually it was a ground layer now that I think of it, I just added mesh around the tree up to the layer point and girdled it before filling the mesh with soil. Shouldn't take too long. The one I layered is in this post on my blog (although I don't have images of it before it was layered.):
http://www.phutu.com/formative-elm-work/

The other way to solve the issue is to allow a sacrifice branch to escape from below the poor taper, like where you have a scar at lower right in the photo. A couple years of ground growing with a sacrifice in that position would likely solve your reverse taper problem on the lower section. Or you could do the layer, and use a sacrifice to solve the taper problem above the layer.

Foemina.
It does kind of look like a recently "pinched loaf" but I always thought that was part of their charm. The more gnarly, the better. I'm not sure if any corker can be considered pretty.

Al - isn't the problem with this tree that you have reverse taper in multiple places? That's a common issue with cork elm. I've successfully air layered a cork elm - actually it was a ground layer now that I think of it, I just added mesh around the tree up to the layer point and girdled it before filling the mesh with soil. Shouldn't take too long. The one I layered is in this post on my blog (although I don't have images of it before it was layered.):

The other way to solve the issue is to allow a sacrifice branch to escape from below the poor taper, like where you have a scar at lower right in the photo. A couple years of ground growing with a sacrifice in that position would likely solve your reverse taper problem on the lower section. Or you could do the layer, and use a sacrifice to solve the taper problem above the layer.
The weird taper higher up does not bother me as much as that below near the soil. Directional changes mid trunk with swelling seem to be OK. I had two large branches below the first swelling with no change of the trunk below the first swelling in the colander that had escaped into the ground for two years. I need to take some shots around the trunk and see if any show a better image. This view is based on the direction of the apex coming forward in this view.

It does kind of look like a recently "pinched loaf" but I always thought that was part of their charm. The more gnarly, the better. I'm not sure if any corker can be considered pretty.
Lmao! Never heard of a terd having charm before!

Send it to me so I can layer this piece off, please?
image.jpeg I will send the rest back and pay the shipping

Is this a Muranaka tree? I see him posting little cork elms on eBay, but I haven't jumped at one yet because of the taper issues.

I love this forum. I love the fact someone can call a tree out as a turd and there's no ill feelings.
Honestly, yeah, it does look like a Saturday morning release, but THATS the potential. As is, its kinda awkward as a winter silhouette. I agree with you, Al, the basal section underneath the first reverse taper turd ring needs to bulk up, but the rest of the rolls are the character of such a beast. Will be following this with interest as I have 2 Corky's in the ground and am awaiting to see how they develop. I reckon if you let that bottom right sacrifice bud out again and elongate, get it out of the colander and into the ground for a year or two you will be laughing. My cork barks grow branches thicker than that in 6 months! Arent you in Cali??:p If the root growth gets too out of hand, you know what to do with them... More trees!

Reactions: Vin
Is this a Muranaka tree? I see him posting little cork elms on eBay, but I haven't jumped at one yet because of the taper issues.
No, Muranaka never has anything long enough to get this big.

Back
Top Bottom