Godzilla -vs- Vin

I was glad to see you finish the cut by hand. If you were to try finishing that cut on an elm (with that amount of mass up top), the bark surely would tear near the end of the cut and leave an ugly unwanted scar... obviously this is not as much of a problem with these maples.

It's not easy to make a decision like that and actually cut something off like that, but it needed it, IMHO.

Good decision and good job. :)

I was glad to see you finish the cut by hand. If you were to try finishing that cut on an elm (with that amount of mass up top), the bark surely would tear near the end of the cut and leave an ugly unwanted scar... obviously this is not as much of a problem with these maples.

It's not easy to make a decision like that and actually cut something off like that, but it needed it, IMHO.

Good decision and good job. :)
Thanks! For many months now I've been trying to talk myself out removing it. It's not $50 nursery stock or a $200 pre-bonsai.

Damn! That's a hell of a chop:eek: I quite liked the trunk as it was but I can dig where you're going with it. Will you continue to develop in a grow box or pump it up in the ground?

Reactions: Vin
Damn! That's a hell of a chop:eek: I quite liked the trunk as it was but I can dig where you're going with it. Will you continue to develop in a grow box or pump it up in the ground?
I don't think it needs to go in the ground. I'm going to repot it using the existing container. It's currently in clay based field soil.

What are your plans for the wound area, letting shoots run to try get some healing, or some carving? I would like to see more photos if possible:D definitely a lot of taper now and it does present a very powerful image

What are your plans for the wound area, letting shoots run to try get some healing, or some carving? I would like to see more photos if possible:D definitely a lot of taper now and it does present a very powerful image
Still not sure. I'm going to give it until this time next year and see how I feel. It's definitely a long-term project.

Still not sure. I'm going to give it until this time next year and see how I feel. It's definitely a long-term project.
I'll be staying tuned. Long term projects are the best, loads of potential and plenty of time to do it right

Back
Top Bottom