How should I chop this ilex?

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
The trunk is about the size I want. I just want to develop some taper as soon as I can.

20190415_195214.jpg

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Always many choices at this stage and all will be good choices.
Hard to make really good choices when I can't see the 3D trunk movement, buds at the back, etc but from what I can see here:

First branch is thick and upright. Either remove it altogether or chop the main trunk to make that branch the new main trunk. If you go that way also chop the new trunk above the first buds facing back to the original trunk. Trunks look best when each section is smaller and thinner than the lower ones.
If using existing trunk line (remove lowest thick branch): Chop the main trunk for future taper and movement. Chop so that that section is not longer than the lower section. Is that wire around the trunk? look for an appropriate bud around there. Preferably one that grows toward the front so the scar will be hidden. Shorten the 2 remaining branches considering they also need changes of direction and taper also with diminishing sections.
Attached virts may help show my options.
There may be other options from different views of the trunk.

Attachments

• Ilex 1.JPG
    Ilex 1.JPG
    126.5 KB · Views: 136
  • Ilex 2.JPG
    Ilex 2.JPG
    127.2 KB · Views: 131

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Always many choices at this stage and all will be good choices.
Hard to make really good choices when I can't see the 3D trunk movement, buds at the back, etc but from what I can see here:

First branch is thick and upright. Either remove it altogether or chop the main trunk to make that branch the new main trunk. If you go that way also chop the new trunk above the first buds facing back to the original trunk. Trunks look best when each section is smaller and thinner than the lower ones.
If using existing trunk line (remove lowest thick branch): Chop the main trunk for future taper and movement. Chop so that that section is not longer than the lower section. Is that wire around the trunk? look for an appropriate bud around there. Preferably one that grows toward the front so the scar will be hidden. Shorten the 2 remaining branches considering they also need changes of direction and taper also with diminishing sections.
Attached virts may help show my options.
There may be other options from different views of the trunk.
The ilex grew right next to a fence hence the nearly single plane growth. The back is not much different than the front and the side pictures show a straight plane. The buds I select to develop in the future will be chosen with the 3D improvement in mind. Your second picture is close to what I have in mind. Thank you for your advice.

Last edited:

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Question to all Bnutters: Should I do the ground layer or should I graft some young ilex to the side with the huge scar to develop roots on that side?

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I would layer...

Ilex does very well at producing radial roots AS SOON as the tree “makes the decision” that that part is “underground material”

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I would layer...

Ilex does very well at producing radial roots AS SOON as the tree “makes the decision” that that part is “underground material”
Very well then. I am going to attempt the ground layer. I wonder if I can do it during the second growing season here. Where I live the second growing season is September and November. 2 short months enough for decent roots or should I wait until spring? So far this tree seems bulletproof. It took the hurricanes and being in shallow pot without much watering other than rain for months. It is about as tough as Cajuns.

Last edited:
Top Bottom