How would you price this BC forest bonsai?

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
9 BCs. The big one has 4” base. Right now they are in a 20”x28” cement tub. How much is it worth a year from now when all the roots settle together?
F130D092-937A-4EEC-BEF9-DFA222EB89D2.jpeg

Attachments

• 70B392F1-B6C3-4476-BBEC-017C2AD744D9.jpeg
    70B392F1-B6C3-4476-BBEC-017C2AD744D9.jpeg
    382.2 KB · Views: 51
I wouldn't have a clue. Gut feeling tells me to get the real money, you would almost need to ship it to someone in an area that is devoid of BC. The rarity of the species usually increases its value. I feel I have a couple of BC that would fetch four figures, but probably not from anyone in driving distance. I don't want to mess with the hassles of shipping.

Alright, I'll take a stab at it. Settled in and acclimated into a nice pot.......$700-$900. Patience may get you twice that.

I always want to ask what size BC you would sell for around $150

And also what would a 3" trunk cost

And also what would a 3" trunk cost
A 3” trunk nursery BC that has very little taper goes for $150
Louisiana Bald - Cypress - Banting's Nursery https://bantingsnursery.com/shop/louisiana-bald-cypress. For bonsai the swamp collected BC like mine are worth way more.
If you look at my forest 7 out 9 trees are worth $125 each. The big one can go for $200 and the little one $20. So all in all that is over $1000 in tree value.

Pricing is always subjective....totally depends on your audience. I find that the price of forest groups rarely achieves the price of the trees if sold individually. If someone came to your garden and wanted to purchase three single BCs instead of just one would you offer them a discount? What if they wanted 9? My collected trees start at $400 but IME the chances of me getting $3600 for a group of 9 is slim to none...

I find that with forests, it's more about the feeling of how the grouping is placed and their relationship to each other. These don't evoke anything like a grouping feel to me, just trees in a pot. Maybe it's just the photography angle.... I realize you are not asking that question, but it has bearing on the pricing aspect.

So all in all that is over $1000 in tree value.

Not trying to be a dick here, but since you’re looking for honest opinions i will just be candid. I would be shocked if a buyer were willing to pay $1000 for this.

$1000 can buy a pretty darn nice tree in the US. These BC are just extremely raw - no branching, not in a bonsai pot, no developed root system.

I am sure it was hard work to dig them and compose the forest, but not worth anywhere near $1000 at this time. Just my 2 cents.

Not trying to be a dick here, but since you’re looking for honest opinions i will just be candid. I would be shocked if a buyer were willing to pay $1000 for this.

$1000 can buy a pretty darn nice tree in the US. These BC are just extremely raw - no branching, not in a bonsai pot, no developed root system.

I am sure it was hard work to dig them and compose the forest, but not worth anywhere near $1000 at this time. Just my 2 cents.
I am not trying to sell it for a thousand or anything like that. Remember the question was for the value after root and branch development. I have no plan to sell any of my forests. I was just looking at some bonsai websites sticking 5-7 one-year old seedlings into a cheap bonsai pot and sell it for $300-$400 and wonder how I would value my forest since they start out with much much better material.
This 5 tree Dawn Redwood forest is being sold for $335. In my eyes I don't see any artistic value on placement nor do I see much in values of the trees themselves.
1677767921851.png

Last edited:
I find that with forests, it's more about the feeling of how the grouping is placed and their relationship to each other. These don't evoke anything like a grouping feel to me, just trees in a pot. Maybe it's just the photography angle.... I realize you are not asking that question, but it has bearing on the pricing aspect.
I am learning how to put forest together that is for sure. The forest in this one was actually an entire group of BCs I found in the swamp that looked quite pleasing to me so I dug them up and place them back the way I saw them. I realize that it will take me years to get the branching developed so that they form a cohesive grouping.

As you suspected, my question centered around the raw value of the trees forming the forest. I don't expect my skills impart any artistic value yet. That is yet to come.

I am learning how to put forest together that is for sure. The forest in this one was actually and entire group of BCs I found in the swamp that looked quite pleasing to me so I dug them up and place them back the way I saw them. I realize that it will take me years to get the branching developed so that they form a cohesive grouping.

As you suspected, my question centered around the raw value of the trees forming the forest. I don't expect my skills impart any artistic value yet. That is yet to come.
As a group of trees, I'd guess probably $600-$900. Buttressing (if any) on these, I'd think could add to that price. Also, pricing is relative to location. These won't get as much in BC country as they would elsewhere where the species isn't native and the only source is a nursery.

I think a forest can command a greater price when it is properly developed.

Wait!

I think it's irresponsible to sell a tree to a place where they don't grow.
There is a lack of honor for the trees.
Honer over greed wins better blessings.

Sorce

As a group of trees, I'd guess probably $600-$900. Buttressing (if any) on these, I'd think could add to that price. Also, pricing is relative to location. These won't get as much in BC country as they would elsewhere where the species isn't native and the only source is a nursery.
These were collected from the swamp so they do have a bit of buttresses that are hidden under the soil for now. I am taking them to PA with me. I hope to enjoy them for years to come up there.

Most collected BC come with no branching and no bonsai pot. That's the way they are collected and sold mostly. I would NOT be surprised if someone paid $1000 for nine BC. Buttressing on these can't really be determined from the photo. Many collectors bury buttressing in soil after collection. Leaving it exposed can dry it out and kill it in the year or two after it's collected. Don't know if that's the case here. The larger trees look to have some decent buttressing going on...which you really won't find on nursery stock. Nine nursery stock BC of this trunk caliper will probably be about as much only with no buttressing.

"Hidden" cost factors for any tree include being able to locate and dig the tree.

Wait!

Sorce
:rolleyes:

Wait!

Sorce
With this line of thinking I have blessing in abundance then :) . I am in this to spread joy and not to make any money. So far I am operating the same way @Mellow Mullet does. If I trade or sell anything, I make sure the other party gets the better end of the bargain since I already receive joy from my end.

Most collected BC come with no branching and no bonsai pot. That's the way they are collected and sold mostly. I would NOT be surprised if someone paid $1000 for nine BC. Buttressing on these can't really be determined from the photo. Many collectors bury buttressing in soil after collection. Leaving it exposed can dry it out and kill it in the year or two after it's collected. Don't know if that's the case here. The larger trees look to have some decent buttressing going on...which you really won't find on nursery stock. Nine nursery stock BC of this trunk caliper will probably be about as much only with no buttressing.

"Hidden" cost factors for any tree include being able to locate and dig the tree.

Fair enough, I think your estimate of $600 on the lower end is entirely reasonable. Like I said, no disrespect intended.

I may be spoiled because of what I’ve seen for $1,000 at Todd Schlafer’s garden 😁

I am not trying to sell it for a thousand or anything like that. Remember the question was for the value after root and branch development. I have no plan to sell any of my forests. I was just looking at some bonsai websites sticking 5-7 one-year old seedlings into a cheap bonsai pot and sell it for $300-$400 and wonder how I would value my forest since they start out with much much better material.
This 5 tree Dawn Redwood forest is being sold for $335. In my eyes I don't see any artistic value on placement nor do I see much in values of the trees themselves.
View attachment 474906

You make good points! I also did not catch the part about “after root and branch development.”

You’ve got some great BC in the works, for sure!

Fair enough, I think your estimate of $600 on the lower end is entirely reasonable. Like I said, no disrespect intended.

I may be spoiled because of what I’ve seen for $1,000 at Todd Schlafer’s garden 😁
Given that I've seen collected BC get snapped up at many reputable collectors' sites for similar pricing, I wouldn't be surprised if someone who really wants a collected BC to pay well over $600 for all of these. And FWIW, western collected conifers are much more available and cheap than quality, healthy BC stock. I can get a decent ponderosa for $200-$400 more than a few places. Look around for collected BC online...not nearly as much around.

Crummy collected BC are common, but knowledgeably collected BC aren't.

There is such a huge variation in the bonsai market in the U.S. that it's hard to put a general price point on this. I'll give two examples.
1) A forest like this I could see going for $150-$250 dollars at our local club's annual auction (lots of good deals to be found on neglected or raw stock there...quite a few older club members that are downsizing their collections)
2) I could also see this same forest selling for north of $700 at a place where there are lots more high-end or knowledgable buyers. (Like at the U.S. Nationals show or maybe at Ryan Neil's or Bjorn's nurseries)

With 1-2 years of branch work, put in a middle tier ceramic, some mossing...I could see the price about doubling.

Back
Top Bottom