How would you price this BC forest bonsai?

I'm sure this will piss off the troops...I have been trying to buy a couple of decent, collected BC for a while now with zero success. It seems that most collectors don't want to waste their time or bother with cutting smaller ones down to 18" or so, wrapping the root ball in some wet paper towels + plastic, getting the correct size box and away they go. Wish I lived where they grew. There would not be a shortage of them for sale on the net. O I get it, Sorce says I shouldn't get one cause they don't grow here. What BS

PS: Sorry Cajun, I don't believe this for a minute..." I am in this to spread joy and not to make any money"
So far I have sold exactly one tree where money exchanged hands. I am pretty sure the person who got it had a bargain. I was happy to bring the tree to him and giving him another tree as gift. Otherwise, all my trees so far have been given away to friends after I introduced them to bonsai or exchanged trees with my bonsai friends.

I'm sure this will piss off the troops...I have been trying to buy a couple of decent, collected BC for a while now with zero success. It seems that most collectors don't want to waste their time or bother with cutting smaller ones down to 18" or so, wrapping the root ball in some wet paper towels + plastic, getting the correct size box and away they go. Wish I lived where they grew. There would not be a shortage of them for sale on the net. O I get it, Sorce says I shouldn't get one cause they don't grow here. What BS

PS: Sorry Cajun, I don't believe this for a minute..." I am in this to spread joy and not to make any money"
I don't know who you're talking to (or how you're trying to compensate collectors), but "most" collectors covers a very very large piece of ground. I know a few professional collectors who won't send a tree until you pony up the money because they've been burned by "dine and dash" customers. Electronic payment (paypal, venmo, etc.) are the way to go.

If you lived where they grew and were selling them online, you would understand the hesitancy in shipping trees or dealing with online customers...It's a can or worms, particularly with larger trees where shipping costs are higher. And smaller tree aren't really worth the trouble if they're under $100.

These were collected from the swamp so they do have a bit of buttresses that are hidden under the soil for now. I am taking them to PA with me. I hope to enjoy them for years to come up there.

You are moving?!

I must've missed this...

PA is a LOAD different than Louisiana OR "trang chú" (my keyboard doesn't have the right accents)

This will be a sizeable change... "Different worlds" effectively...

Are you excited?!

BS...mine is 9 1/2 inches tall dormant. I didn't collect it...I bought it off Bonsai Auctions off of Mike Lane years back.
Screenshot_20230303_122603_Gallery.jpg

YOU...just don't know where to look. But to say ones aren't selling...is preposterous.

They have come up on Facebook auctions a lot lately. 🤣

I happen to give my trees away to ones I know in my circle who will keep them going...when thinning. But there is nothing wrong with covering one's time or expenses.

I don't miss your attitude [or ones like you] towards others. This is a prime example of why I find distaste here... ones ignorance...by making blatant, preposterous...statements...with a pinch of opinion that doesn't relate.

Last edited:

WTF is wrong with you??? I know I am at least one of the folks you are complaining about...and you know what I don't give shit! I tried to be polite to you when you reached out privately....I do not run a bonsai business, I am not a bonsai professional. I have a full time job plus the equivalent of two full-time jobs in just keeping up with my own garden and trees and that just doesn't leave time to ship any trees. Sorry if it pisses you off but I have absolutely ZERO obligation to ship you anything regardless of how fucking easy you might think it is....Not sure what you think you are going to accomplish by getting on here and pissing and moaning about your inability to get material but it ain't positive either way.

Absolutely...and it was nice to see...BUT... I'm not so sure I'm ready to be here. I was wetting my toes. Only posting in barely any topics. But...my ignore button has already been tested. I don't think...I'm cut out for the group. This part of my life...the door closed on...and I doubt it can Crack open. I still share archives...with a few on Facebook. There's some solid sources here.

Congrats on the wedding... I doubt...I post here on the forum again. Other than to update an old thread. It's...just...not my thing. You know...some people just aren't my cup of tea. I actually...detest tea. 😉🙃

Thank you! It was on 1/11 and today I read Hebrews 11 1-11!
That said...
I have faith you will be well!

Sorce

King David is one of the best writers...

I've been listening to the Hymns of Psalms, accompanied by Oud, in traditional Hebrew!

I've read the Bible cover to cover twice... And had to memorize huge passages or "fail' school.

VERY good stuff in there!!!

I just... Kept going... Reading all the writings on all the other religions/faiths as well..

Good stuff in there, too.

🤓

I'm sorry to hear you are "stepping away"... But I DEFINITELY understand... (Still don't WANT you too.. but.. 🤣)

And hope that any of MY craziness did not add to your stress during your times here.

🤓

Oh look... a bald cypress for sale...and shipping is available.

If it isn't in your price point, is one thing. That isn't their problem. @August44

Dimensions:

• Height: 16 inches
  • Width: 14 inches
  • Trunk: 2 inches
  • Nebari: 5.75 inches

Last edited:
King David is one of the best writers...

I've been listening to the Hymns of Psalms, accompanied by Oud, in traditional Hebrew!

I've read the Bible cover to cover twice... And had to memorize huge passages or "fail' school.

VERY good stuff in there!!!

I just... Kept going... Reading all the writings on all the other religions/faiths as well..

Good stuff in there, too.

🤓

I'm sorry to hear you are "stepping away"... But I DEFINITELY understand... (Still don't WANT you too.. but.. 🤣)

And hope that any of MY craziness did not add to your stress during your times here.

🤓
(((Hugs))) you're good. Glad to see that as well.

Since I lost my dad. It put a new perspective on how I intend to spend my time. You can't get back wasted time...and I've a short tolerance for fools. This mentality mindset of a majority. Is mind blowing. They are in an elite group of fools.

@johng ... standing ovation. You own no one anything! The mindset of entitlement is more than I can grasp at times.

So far I have sold exactly one tree where money exchanged hands. I am pretty sure the person who got it had a bargain. I was happy to bring the tree to him and giving him another tree as gift. Otherwise, all my trees so far have been given away to friends after I introduced them to bonsai or exchanged trees with my bonsai friends.
You shouldn't have to explain yourself to a fool. 😉

Do me a solid...do not sell this one a tree. That's all I ask.

Have you tried Zach Smith at Bonsai South? I'd get him on the phone, if possible. He's sold out of trees, FOR THIS YEAR, but you can probably get one next year if you put a deposit down. I've worked with him for years and he's been collecting BC for at least 30 years probably longer. I got my first from him 25 years ago. He's excellent and a stand-up guy.

Oh look... a bald cypress for sale...and shipping is available.

If it isn't in your price point, is one thing. That isn't their problem. @August44

Dimensions:

and another:
and another
and another:

BS...mine is 9 1/2 inches tall dormant. I didn't collect it...I bought it off Bonsai Auctions off of Mike Lane years back.
View attachment 475608

YOU...just don't know where to look. But to say ones aren't selling...is preposterous.

They have come up on Facebook auctions a lot lately. 🤣

I happen to give my trees away to ones I know in my circle who will keep them going...when thinning. But there is nothing wrong with covering one's time or expenses.

I don't miss your attitude [or ones like you] towards others. This is a prime example of why I find distaste here... ones ignorance...by making blatant, preposterous...statements...with a pinch of opinion that doesn't relate.
A quick search of Bonsai Auctions on Facebook produced at least three BC listed in the last four days. One is extremely nice and not all that expensive (if the shipping doesn't kill you)...

FB auctions are increasingly THE place to get a lot of decent to great bonsai stuff. If you're not on there because you "don't do facebook," well, you're missing out.

A quick search of Bonsai Auctions on Facebook produced at least three BC listed in the last four days. One is extremely nice and not all that expensive (if the shipping doesn't kill you)...

FB auctions are increasingly THE place to get a lot of decent to great bonsai stuff. If you're not on there because you "don't do facebook," well, you're missing out.
Yup! That one was amazingly nice! I didn't share the link...because one must be a member to see it. But did...mention it as a source. Shipping...there is the kicker who really knows. I will say...most all my trees have come shipped. When you don't have a local source...you learn to pay it. Cheaper than going to meet up and collect. 😉

Honestly...they sell BC at my local nursery. As it can grow in zone 5. I'm a zone 4... but I was shocked to see them there last year.

Do you have a google docs account? You could set up a likability questionnaire with better photos . Get 5 questions and scale it from 1-5 in terms of definitely would not buy to definitely would buy. Also put in there a scale of dollar value , and extrapolate the data based on the results for a concise pricing appraisal. Also based on those other groupings that are being sold for 3-500 dollars, are they being bought or is that what the price is on eBay , the seller is HOPING to sell at.

Yup! That one was amazingly nice! I didn't share the link...because one must be a member to see it. But did...mention it as a source. Shipping...there is the kicker who really knows. I will say...most all my trees have come shipped. When you don't have a local source...you learn to pay it. Cheaper than going to meet up and collect. 😉

Honestly...they sell BC at my local nursery. As it can grow in zone 5. I'm a zone 4... but I was shocked to see them there last year.

Some folks claim they are hardy to USDA 3!!! 😎 .. I have a hard time.. envisioning them, frozen in a Wisco swamp... But I'm going to "test the waters"

My good friend, and general all-around great guy, Matteo, sent me (amongst many other treasures) 6 BC seedlings! (He had just procured a sizeable amount)

🤓

Some folks claim they are hardy to USDA 3!!! 😎 .. I have a hard time.. envisioning them, frozen in a Wisco swamp... But I'm going to "test the waters"

My good friend, and general all-around great guy, Matteo, sent me (amongst many other treasures) 6 BC seedlings! (He had just procured a sizeable amount)

🤓
I was warned...southern bald cypress...need to be sheltered for our winters...until their dormant period is on schedule with our deciduous trees up north for success. Now...this may...be in a pot.

But what I do know...wintering southern trees. They wake earlier than my northern trees. They take a few years to get onto my dormancy cycle with the rest. So that said...I tend to believe what I was told...

My landscape company only buys from an Ohio grower. The trees do not need acclimating. They discouraged me from buying one for the landscape.

🤓
There is some thinking among some researchers that BC isn't common in more northerly locations because thicker, longer more common ice in frozen over ponds, etc. girdle and kill off BC saplings before they can get started.

There is some thinking among some researchers that BC isn't common in more northerly locations because thicker, longer more common ice in frozen over ponds, etc. girdle and kill off BC saplings before they can get started.

This makes PERFECT sense!.. so I bet somewhere in the midlands,like Kentucky, or Southern Indiana, Illinois and Ohio is probably where they start to be seen less-commonly.

As does this:
...southern bald cypress...need to be sheltered for our winters..

But what I do know...wintering southern trees. They wake earlier than my northern trees. They take a few years to get onto my dormancy cycle with the rest......Ohio grower. The trees do not need acclimating.

My coldframe THIS year was an utmost success.
It never got below 27 in there. (Even during the -14dF _ -19dF stretch we had)...

I had tester plants from USDA 5, 6, and 7 in there... I can vouch for 5 and 6... Have to wait until the Mexican Plum ACTUALLY tries to wake up to speak for 7.

🤓

(So I am relatively comfortable wintering trees....NOW! 🤣🤣)

I was warned...southern bald cypress...need to be sheltered for our winters...until their dormant period is on schedule with our deciduous trees up north for success. Now...this may...be in a pot.

But what I do know...wintering southern trees. They wake earlier than my northern trees. They take a few years to get onto my dormancy cycle with the rest. So that said...I tend to believe what I was told...

My landscape company only buys from an Ohio grower. The trees do not need acclimating. They discouraged me from buying one for the landscape.

It's worth pointing out that I have also been assessing the variances in (Acer) seed-grown specimens from Northern vs. southern seed... I should have enough info soon (within the next 2 years) to do some kind of "write-up" on my experiences in thread format.

🤓

August is not wrong about availabilty of larger trunk starter material right now, do a sold search on ebay.
Does anyone have any that can be chopped to fit a large flat rate diagonal ?
Decent money sell while you can, before summer...only your least favorites to make a quick $100

Back
Top Bottom