Let’s Have Some Fun! First Annual Box Store Challenge – Who’s In?

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
What about having every 6 month update on the trees, and members of the forum vote for the best progress to date?

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
What about having every 6 month update on the trees, and members of the forum vote for the best progress to date?

I think people in warmer climates will have a significant advantage. In 6 months it will be mid winter here.

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
I think people in warmer climates will have a significant advantage. In 6 months it will be mid winter here.
Yes but after that it will be the other way round...So if it is every 6 month...over long time it will be OK.

monza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In six months? Expected snow fall tomorrow 5cm. At least my igloo is warm and cozy.

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
You see, our spring starts now....so for the next 6 month we will have advantage, after that our winter starts...and also nothing grows...then at the end of the next 6 month you will have advantage.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You see, our spring starts now....so for the next 6 month we will have advantage, after that our winter starts...and also nothing grows...then at the end of the next 6 month you will have advantage.

How cold is your winter Neli? I dont think it is fair comparing a plant that someone in Alberta, Canada with a very short growing season to someone in southern California with a long growing season. The long growing season will win every time.

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
You are right here...but still allowances can be made...You dont think the time to find rough stock is too short?

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You are right here...but still allowances can be made...You dont think the time to find rough stock is too short?

If you mean the time allowed to find a tree to work on?
For me, no, but someone else might have trouble.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I doubt very much that you'll be able to have a contest that is as far reaching geographically as this forum "fair" to everyone. I doubt that Monza has nursery stock availability as warmer climates at this time of year. There will be people like Darlene that will not be able to update on the spring photo, but even if you move it a week, that may put out others. And growing seasons will not be the same, there are lots of variables.
You have to make the best effort to include as many as possible, and hope that the rest understand.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
How cold is your winter Neli? I dont think it is fair comparing a plant that someone in Alberta, Canada with a very short growing season to someone in southern California with a long growing season. The long growing season will win every time.

Our winter last year was long and -20's...so winters in warmer climates a tree will have that long growing season. I think the original ideal of preparing and working a tree initially great. And then do another one in the spring. For ones who weren't able to get stock to work on in their areas. For we are going into winter mode...and box stores are not getting in new stock. Nurseries also close down around here.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I doubt very much that you'll be able to have a contest that is as far reaching geographically as this forum "fair" to everyone. I doubt that Monza has nursery stock availability as warmer climates at this time of year. There will be people like Darlene that will not be able to update on the spring photo, but even if you move it a week, that may put out others. And growing seasons will not be the same, there are lots of variables.
You have to make the best effort to include as many as possible, and hope that the rest understand.

I agree with Judy...
This is to be fun...I am fine waiting for spring when materials are more available in my area if it comes down to it. ;) It will still be fun to watch what others do with their material.:cool:

Last edited:

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If it's okay with everyone, let's get through this Fall Challenge and then we can work on progression ideas and the Spring or Summer Challenge. In my opinion we should focus our efforts on the challenge at hand and keep it fun for everyone. Just my opinion...

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
If it's okay with everyone, let's get through this Fall Challenge and then we can work on progression ideas and the Spring or Summer Challenge. In my opinion we should focus our efforts on the challenge at hand and keep it fun for everyone. Just my opinion...

I agree... We can also learn from this one. :D

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If I can get the time to visit a plant store I'll be in. As far as the tree surviving, I've got a lot of trees being gently taken one step at a time. I would like to find an Alberta spruce and get rough with itit.iy.iwrgaspruiwrgaspruiwrgaspruiwrgaspru

Sorry autocorrect is behaving oddly and won't let me backspace.

Wire is something I won't be able to get in time I've roughed out a few trees lately with only 2/guages of aluminum not easy to get a refined look.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If I can get the time to visit a plant store I'll be in. As far as the tree surviving, I've got a lot of trees being gently taken one step at a time. I would like to find an Alberta spruce and get rough with itit.iy.iwrgaspruiwrgaspruiwrgaspruiwrgaspru

Sorry autocorrect is behaving oddly and won't let me backspace.

Wire is something I won't be able to get in time I've roughed out a few trees lately with only 2/guages of aluminum not easy to get a refined look.

Would love to have you join the fun if possible. If you haven't seen the Rules and Guidelines thread here is a link: http://bonsainut.com/forums/showthread.php?16506-FINAL-Rules-amp-Guidelines-for-the-First-Annual-Fall-Box-Store-Challenge

Great to have you on board and good luck!

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Wireme, shame on you for not having decent copper wire around with all those kickin' yamadori you've collected! jk ;)

Top Bottom