Mikawa Yatsubusa advice

OnetyOne

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hey everyone, I wanted to continue this thread. I have been developing a MY Japanese maple for awhile now. I agree that the leaves are larger so I have wanted to let it grow out.

I am wondering what is the best route you guy's suggest pruning? And do you think I should attempt at air-layering as I have tried reproducing clippings of this tree for the past 2 years with no success. I am quite hesitant ground layering the graft stock.

Also, I have just left it in a growers pot and this year the only task I have done was remove the burlap from the base.

Attachments

• IMG_2541.jpg
    IMG_2541.jpg
    311.5 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_2542.jpg
    IMG_2542.jpg
    293 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_2543.jpg
    IMG_2543.jpg
    315.1 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_2644.jpg
    IMG_2644.jpg
    387.7 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_2645.jpg
    IMG_2645.jpg
    339.5 KB · Views: 93

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This thinning is the opposite of other acers - you must remove the 'under leaves' and keep the outer ones otherwise the tree does not grow any more that year.
I really don't understand what is meant by the 'under leaves'....and the outer ones.
Can anybody put some more detail to this plz.

TrevorLarsen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I really don't understand what is meant by the 'under leaves'....and the outer ones.
Can anybody put some more detail to this plz.
It’s the leaves that are under the leaves above. Basically cut off all the leaves that are hidden and leave the ones that are getting the most Sun. Like the previous post said this is the opposite compared to most deciduous trees.

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It’s the leaves that are under the leaves above. Basically cut off all the leaves that are hidden and leave the ones that are getting the most Sun. Like the previous post said this is the opposite compared to most deciduous trees.
Thanks...I understand. I take it the purpose of removing the lower leaves is to encourage back budding in those areas...?

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks...I understand. I take it the purpose of removing the lower leaves is to encourage back budding in those areas...?
These backbud strongly, the purpose is to allow more light to the weaker or lower interior shoots.

Top Bottom