My new addition

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have 2 1/2 years in...and am gulping at removing a branch. Waiting on mine to offer up buds to see how this warm winter effected it...if any before chopping. And still...not removing the entire branch. Just leaving a bit of a stub to help promote back budding where I want it. I hope to one day be bold in my cuts. Without the butterflies.
Just got to do it! The more branches you hack off the easier it gets.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Just got to do it! The more branches you hack off the easier it gets.
Oh I'm going to cut that maple back to the virt. Will offered up. Taking that long un-tapered branch and redevelop it. Looking at it some more. And knowing it grows like a good weed is helpful. Also looking forward to cutting those silly sacrifice branches off the Virginia creeper. It no longer I really feel is accomplishing anything. The base gets to thick the top will look to thin. And I am not chopping it. I want the height to allow a weeping form. But...since I never seen the maple in leaf. Part of me is saddened I won't get to see a full canopy on it. But...it will look much better in the long run. I can grasp that.

Intentions to thin that Kojo No Mai a bit as well. Keeping the length because they are slow growers and I want the cascade. It's why I bought it. But I have to many branches coming off it. It needs tamed a tad more. Trust me...I will be moving mountains in this upcoming Spring from where I was last year.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This tree is one of Root over rock maples the Japanese apparently sell off every so often in batches to overseas markets. They're becoming more common as imports--I think because these lack the overall refinement that most root over rock trees sold on the Japanese market have. Not to say it's bad, just not as refined--same thing happens with azalea bonsai.

In any case, I'd work on the opposite of refining the top and work on refining those roots. They're overwhelmed the rock, blunting the entire thing visually. Root over rock should be ALL about how the roots interplay with the rock. These roots have no interplay, they're just blobs. I'd carve back some of the mass to make the rock more visible...THEN work on the apex

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The first look I took had me seeing the bottom rock as a wound.....

I kind of like it for that.

It's different.

Sorce

Littlejoe919

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b?
This tree is one of Root over rock maples the Japanese apparently sell off every so often in batches to overseas markets. They're becoming more common as imports--I think because these lack the overall refinement that most root over rock trees sold on the Japanese market have. Not to say it's bad, just not as refined--same thing happens with azalea bonsai.

In any case, I'd work on the opposite of refining the top and work on refining those roots. They're overwhelmed the rock, blunting the entire thing visually. Root over rock should be ALL about how the roots interplay with the rock. These roots have no interplay, they're just blobs. I'd carve back some of the mass to make the rock more visible...THEN work on the apex
Are you talking about carving out window like grooves into the trunk?

armetisius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
One of my weaknesses.. I have no mercy on the trees.

Finally; you said what I have always thought.
What do we all oooo and ahh over?
What do we all lust for? even if only in the secrecy of our hearts?
Why are terms mis-used to "up" the price/legitimacy of a
particularly half assed tree? Though they are are spectacular; a
"yamadori" [to me] must be legitimately yamadori. It must be shaped
by the forces of nature. Some crap shrub you dug from your neigh-
bor's yard or curbside is not. However, I am a force of nature too. As
are you, the nursery man who throws a bunch of rejects in a ditch,
the cat that knocks a plant off the bench, or the person with the
stones to walk up and "rip" an offending limb off a tree--all of them
are forces of nature. Quit being so absolutely uptight that it takes a
committee decision to even "nip the tips" of a maple.
It is a tree.
We put them in bondage; "wire/bend" their limbs; even steam the bones
and bend them; throw screen over them to crush them; hang weights
from their limbs; split their bodies; etc.; etc. All to hopefully mimic some
other 'force of nature"s work. Mercy? I am not a judge; I am the prosecutor.
A lovely placid maple all alone in a field still "shows the signs" of age and
maturity.
So long as you worry about being "gentle/careful" with everything you do
you will never achieve that 'look' we all so deeply long for. Stir it up a bit.
Be a little rough sometimes. Otherwise? enjoy your cute cookie cutter
excuse for a bonsai.

Top Bottom