New bonsai garden, including koi pond!

Alas... I knew I couldn’t meet the @MACH5 standard! So, now, I’m just relegated to being a redneck-look-alike!

Whoa!! Then what does this do to @Dav4? He barely fit the criteria, being a Pats fan and all... well, he does like good beer, that’s one thing in his favor! If course, none of us can possibly meet @MarkyScott’s prowess of downing Shiner’s...

Yep you're just an imitation redneck and not a true one. At least that's what Bolero said! 🤣

Yep
Looks great, patios are a wonderful thing.
Yep! Sitting out on my unfinished patio reading BonsaiNut on my iPhone listening to the frog chorus trying to drown out the sound of the waterfall! Watching the koi peck at the algae growing on the rocks in the pond...

Consider an area for a concealed moving bed filter. This is a keystone to any good man made pond. You can even partially bury two and cover the rest of it and plumbing with a synthetic boulder.

The more porous the rocks on your waterfall are (that are above the waterline) exposed, the more aerobic bacteria you will cultivate.

Below is a minimized waterfall that might give you ideas on your riverways. Looks absolutely amazing man 🙌🏻

Attachments

• IMG_1329.JPG
    IMG_1329.JPG
    358 KB · Views: 81
Consider an area for a concealed moving bed filter. This is a keystone to any good man made pond. You can even partially bury two and cover the rest of it and plumbing with a synthetic boulder.

The more porous the rocks on your waterfall are (that are above the waterline) exposed, the more aerobic bacteria you will cultivate.

Below is a minimized waterfall that might give you ideas on your riverways. Looks absolutely amazing man 🙌🏻
I have no idea what a “moving bed filter” is. This pond has three “filters”.

1) a Biofalls filter. Water is pumped up thru a bed of biofalls and foam filter designed to hold nitrifying bacteria. From there, the water falls in a waterfall to absorb oxygen and returns to the pond.

2). A Wetlands bog. Water is pumped into the bottom of a bog and is pushed upwards thru three layers of gravel. Larger gravel at first, then successively smaller sized gravel at the surface. Bog plants are planted in the gravel to absorb the nitrates created by the nitrifying bacteria in the bog. This water is returned by going over a waterfall, which oxygenates it.

3). UV filter. Some water on the way to the biofalls is diverted thru a UV light “filter”. The purpose of the UV is to kill the single cell algae that makes the water green. There is algae growing on the rocks and gravel in the pond, and the koi happily graze upon that. The water, even though it’s in full sun, is absolutely clear.

The pond is still cycling. I did have a “hair algae bloom”, but it’s almost all gone now. It came in with the water plants.

The frogs and dragonflies seem to like it a lot.

It is number 1. They have fancy names for them now I guess 😁. Number 2 is a refugium and that's were flow should be at almost a standstill at least where the plants are to allow nitrate consumption and nitrogen expulsion. Beautiful 👍🏼

It is number 1. They have fancy names for them now I guess 😁. Number 2 is a refugium and that's were flow should be at almost a standstill at least where the plants are to allow nitrate consumption and nitrogen expulsion. Beautiful 👍🏼
I had a refugium under my reef tank. The bog is a bit different... but yes, the water is greatly slowed down. Water from the pond is pumped into the bottom of the bog, into a chamber that has skits running across the top. This slows the water speed by 90%. Once thru the slits, it enters a larger chamber of water contained by a network of plastic boxes. They look something like milk crates. The layers of gravel sit on top of the crates. Water is pushed up thru the gravel to the surface, and then it falls over the waterfall. The bog is pretty big, in fact it’s oversized for the pond, so it should work well.

Guilty. I’m just a look-a-like! This wine actually had a cork!

Now, I DO have some cocktail cherries marinated in moonshine!

Would those count?
Yeah, I guess that’d work. You can ship the red wine to me, especially if it’s a really spicy, woody one. Haha

looks like I'm going to have to visit my step sister in Georgia and crash in on that Bonsai Oasis your building. Gorgeous progress so far.

Back
Top Bottom