panda’s 23-26 little Christmas tree entry

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Picea glauca ‘Conica’ - dwarf Alberta spruce

We had already decided to get a living tree that would be maintained along with my other trees before this contest, but I may as well make an entry for this one. I think it will be an interesting tree to design, as my idea of a Christmas tree is opposed to many of the design characteristics of a bonsai—it is a young, symmetrical, and straight tree. That is the vision plan to aim for this tree, though it certainly could become a bonsai someday. I’m am curious to find out if it will grow out of its role as a Christmas tree.
IMG_0999.jpeg
I trimmed this tree before dressing it. Also cleaned the pot between this picture and taking it inside.

and finally, as a proper Christmas tree.
IMG_1031.jpeg

I repotted this tree today into a mica drum pot. I think the pot pairing is excellent for my Christmas not-a-bonsai, but I’m not satisfied with the angle or centeredness. There were some huge structural roots that limited my options in flattening the root ball. Next repot will be much better!!

Attachments

• IMG_1500.jpeg
    IMG_1500.jpeg
    334.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1501.jpeg
    IMG_1501.jpeg
    310.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1502.jpeg
    IMG_1502.jpeg
    301.5 KB · Views: 9
It’s very dense, which I’m hoping enables the tree to have a strong regrowth after going hard at the roots. I’ve noticed that people get aggressive with these on top and bottom and don’t have the best regrowth afterward, so trying to do one at a time.

I potted it in about 50/50 pumice and akadama.

Back
Top Bottom