Where to find material?

gallina1594

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Where do you guys find trees/bushes when collecting material?? Is there a resource to find people who want trees and other stuff removed?

When I was starting out, I stalked a few landscape nurseries. Takes a while to find good stuff in those places but you can find a few things to learn on.
Thanks for the feedback! Thats all i'm really looking for, something to learn with and not have to invest a lot of money into something I most likely will kill at this stage lol

Cheap landscape plants at local nurseries. Look in the discount pile.
Trash day. Better yet, look for landscape plants that should be in the trash and offer the owner a free removal. Do this to recently sold homes as many new owners want to restart their landscape.
Have any old-time cemeteries nearby? The ones that allow plantings and vertical headstones? Look in their trash pile as they hate mowing around plants and look for reasons to move them.
CW

Cheap landscape plants at local nurseries. Look in the discount pile.
Trash day. Better yet, look for landscape plants that should be in the trash and offer the owner a free removal. Do this to recently sold homes as many new owners want to restart their landscape.
Have any old-time cemeteries nearby? The ones that allow plantings and vertical headstones? Look in their trash pile as they hate mowing around plants and look for reasons to move them.
CW
Thank you!

You wouldn't believe how far I get just by asking .
I get some of the best material off the side of the highway,,, the highway department would just cut it down anyway . I always ask for permission first .
Or even in your neighborhood.
If you see something you might want ,,,go up and ask for It. The worst someone can say to you is no,,
You haven't lost anything if they do .
You can find some really nice junipers growing along the fence line of a farm
That have been cut down repeatedly .
The farmers would love for you to remove it for them .
Keep an open mind and you will find some awesome material .

You wouldn't believe how far I get just by asking .
I get some of the best material off the side of the highway,,, the highway department would just cut it down anyway . I always ask for permission first .
Or even in your neighborhood.
If you see something you might want ,,,go up and ask for It. The worst someone can say to you is no,,
You haven't lost anything if they do .
You can find some really nice junipers growing along the fence line of a farm
That have been cut down repeatedly .
The farmers would love for you to remove it for them .
Keep an open mind and you will find some awesome material .
I guess I'll have to just make the leap next time I see something!

Got my last tree when our landlord at work had to put in a handicap ramp and take out a piece of hedge. The one before that was a club raffle. The one before that was a volunteer growing up through cracks at the edge of the parking lot.

Craigslist Free Section!

Search Bonsai and find all the whackos!

Farm and Garden you can find field nurseries...to contact...to go look for "crap"...our Gold!

If someone...or a business...has some ratty shrubs...you can ask to replace them.

Old people don't want them yews and old Junipers in their yard....they want something new too! Ask em!
They just don't wanna dig em or can't afford to change em!

Sorce

Free-Cycle or simply asking when you see a landscape remodel. If you take away and find value in what they would have to pay to take to landfill, a good time was had by all.

Craigslist Free Section!

Search Bonsai and find all the whackos!

Farm and Garden you can find field nurseries...to contact...to go look for "crap"...our Gold!

If someone...or a business...has some ratty shrubs...you can ask to replace them.

Old people don't want them yews and old Junipers in their yard....they want something new too! Ask em!
They just don't wanna dig em or can't afford to change em!

Sorce
Thank you for all the ideas!

Just about everyone knows someone that knows someone that lives in the country. Back yards that end at the wood line always have saplings or trees that were hacked back over time. Hacked back as in prolific backbudding! Powerline rights of way, private country roads and cattle pastures most likely have hacked back or grazed trees and shrubs. I found a gnarly,well branched 1 " diameter crepe myrtle in my sister's less-than-maintained flower bed.

Common to a goodly amount of ME the northern 1/4 of NH, and top half of VT are larch. it likes wet places to grow. Look in ditches, and ask if you can collect some of the multitude that have been pruned by road crews. Free. The last time I was in the area, the only stipulation from the property owner was that I take all of them...

I found an amazing area of the forest to go tree hunting recently. I belong to a Facebook group called Hiking In The Pacific Northwest, where people post pictures of their adventures in the area. I scanned the posted photos looking for areas that had interesting trees, then did google image searches of areas that looked particularly good. I found a number of places that seem very promising, and the one that I was most drawn to turned out to be spectacular.

This looks like a really good nursery in your area.

http://www.remusfarms.com/

Very big and the prices I'm sure will be great.

As others have suggested the nurseries are not bad, but dig down below the soil look for a good trunk and low branches on what you do pick.

The prices are usually really cheap as well.

Have fun!

I have found material in pretty much all the ways mentioned and I will tell you that if you begin to look for trees, you will develop a syndrome, I'm sure there is a real scientific name for it, in which you will begin to see trees everywhere. It becomes automatic and you can not stop yourself. I even spot trees in the background when I'm watching a movie. Hold it! Back up! Did you see that oak?!

Back
Top Bottom