2 More Dawn Redwoods

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Hello again everyone, I've got 2 more Dawn Redwoods that I've had for about a year or so. Here is the first one:

004-3.jpg

005-4.jpg

That is basically the whole tree. I really wanted just to show the huge empty section of the trunk, where I would like to chop the tree. But, that is probably not the right way to go. The trunk is probably an inch thick. I wanted to chop and then plant it into a grow box, or the ground. Sound like a plan?

Here is the second one:
001-5.jpg

003-4.jpg

The trunk is the same size as the first one. This second tree, however, is a bit more of a mess. As you can hopefully see, there is a whole mess of branches low down on the trunk. I think if I were to chop above that area, it would be okay?

Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ryan

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hello Redwood Ryan.....Well, you are a patient person..starting with the whole "stick in a pot" scenario. Fortunately these trees grow pretty fast...As far as chopping, there are a few things to consider before chopping. Let the tree dictate where the chop should be.. Do a full 360 degrees inspection and pic your front. Look to where the trunk begins to taper. Also, look to see if there is a branch that you can wire straight up to create a new apex or second half of the tree. Then look at where the branches or future branches will be. Look for tiny buds or small branches that will be future main branches.

Another option is to keep the relative height that the tree is already and develop it from there... It may take a while for the trunk to thicken up to the desired proportions though. If you do go with this option, you will need to basically leave it alone and not do much pruning. Basically letting the tree almost grow wild.

All in all... Expect to put about 7-10 years of work into this project before it becomes a nice/finished bonsai..First, you will need the main branches to develop, then seconday branches then tertiary branches. In my opinion, this species makes an outstanding bonsai... I wish you luck.

Rob

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If it is only 1 inch thick, it makes no sense to chop yet. Wait another inch, and then do it. This way, it will take much less time to gain a decent size.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
p.s. Here are a couple of nice speciemns.. These are not my trees..

Attachments

• 64[1].jpg
    64[1].jpg
    16 KB · Views: 55
  • redwood[1].jpg
    redwood[1].jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 52
Top Bottom