32 year old Acer Rubrum

Tree by River

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Those were all shoots that have grow for probably 2-3 years. They were every bit of 6-8’ tall when I found the tree. The main trunk was broken over and growing across the ground so I literally chopped it with a cane knife to this height. You can see where the trunk turns back it was growing in a 90 degree angle. Amazing how vigorous these trees are. By next year I will dig another two up that I cut back this past week, so I will have 4 total.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Those were all shoots that have grow for probably 2-3 years. They were every bit of 6-8’ tall when I found the tree. The main trunk was broken over and growing across the ground so I literally chopped it with a cane knife to this height. You can see where the trunk turns back it was growing in a 90 degree angle. Amazing how vigorous these trees are. By next year I will dig another two up that I cut back this past week, so I will have 4 total.
Good luck. Really nice nebari!

Corrado

Mame
Reaction score
I just picked off from 2 differant Acer Rubrum trees in my area of NY and the leaf shape is somewhat differant. Notice the top is more rounded with no peduncles .And its just 3 main pointed lobes with some slight serrations. Stem is reddish and the opposite side is a dull grey color. These pics are identical to the wikpedia dicionary of acer rubrum. (see my earlier post)

Attachments

• acer rubrum.JPG
    acer rubrum.JPG
    218.6 KB · Views: 54

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I just picked off from 2 differant Acer Rubrum trees in my area of NY and the leaf shape is somewhat differant. Notice the top is more rounded with no peduncles .And its just 3 main pointed lobes with some slight serrations. Stem is reddish and the opposite side is a dull grey color. These pics are identical to the wikpedia dicionary of acer rubrum. (see my earlier post)
Embrace the paradox!!

Tree by River

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
AB, put a couple of pics up of the tree before we go into fall. Would like to see how the summer faired it. Thanks

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
The canopy is a little more open than normal. I think this was from the root prune and the early leaf cutting combined. No branching was pruned at all.

AB, put a couple of pics up of the tree before we go into fall. Would like to see how the summer faired it. Thanks
B5B44F18-E876-4F9A-A802-0738FC8FB95C.jpeg

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Always happy to see this tree again. was actually day dreaming bout acer rubrum today. there's a literati style one for sale at my work for $15, sort of tempted. How tall is your tree btw?

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Always happy to see this tree again. was actually day dreaming bout acer rubrum today. there's a literati style one for sale at my work for $15, sort of tempted. How tall is your tree btw?
About 32”

Reactions: GGB

Tree by River

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The canopy is a little more open than normal. I think this was from the root prune and the early leaf cutting combined. No branching was pruned at all.

View attachment 328516
Just beautiful can I tell you, you have done a wonderful job on this tree. I hope to take a lot away from your techniques in training and development of my two rubrums I have now. Both are now really sprouting shoots all over but will wait til winter to pick which shoots to keep. How about your pot you have it in, where did you find it and what kind is it? Also what are the dimensions of the pot? If I have any questions man I will shoot them to you, I’m excited about my two rubrums. I’ll put up two pics of them when I get around to it and would like your opinion.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Just beautiful can I tell you, you have done a wonderful job on this tree. I hope to take a lot away from your techniques in training and development of my two rubrums I have now. Both are now really sprouting shoots all over but will wait til winter to pick which shoots to keep. How about your pot you have it in, where did you find it and what kind is it? Also what are the dimensions of the pot? If I have any questions man I will shoot them to you, I’m excited about my two rubrums. I’ll put up two pics of them when I get around to it and would like your opinion.
Thanks. I wouldn't try defoliating next year, let it grow and develop some roots. Any branching you want to keep get it wired ASAP....it will only get more difficult. As for the pot...it's 17" wide and one of mine. If you're interested ....https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/building-a-wet-slab-bonsai-pot.34185/

Nelis

Sapling
Reaction score
Did anybody ever tried taking air layers from swamp maple, do they take well?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
This post just BLEW MY MIND. Thank you @ABCarve for the tips and inspiration! I too have a large Rubrum that was just too good to not collect but honestly had no idea what the future held. I have rekindled hope!!!!

Tree by River

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks. I wouldn't try defoliating next year, let it grow and develop some roots. Any branching you want to keep get it wired ASAP....it will only get more difficult. As for the pot...it's 17" wide and one of mine. If you're interested ....https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/building-a-wet-slab-bonsai-pot.34185/
I’ve got shoots everywhere on it now but thinking of just waiting till leaf drop to choose the branches I want and cut the rest. With that being said I will wait to wire then. What you think?

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Thought I would give this an update for winter silhouette. The tree has had nothing pruned off of it since it early spring cleanup, other than leaf pruning. You can see there are a few branches that have extended out of its silhouette, but for the most part, very well behaved. These will be cut back early spring 2021 along with some terminal buds to keep it chased back.

IMG_4078.jpeg

GreatLakesBrad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Lovely. This is #1 on my list to either develop from young or find a collectible specimen. Thanks for sharing.

Top Bottom