9 reasons to love the Arctic Trident....in one inch.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think I managed to Jam 9 new seedlings into less than a one inch bundle, so these are my new Amur jizoints.

Seeing as how they were dug about a week before proper moon, tossed in a Polish Water bottle and left overnight with some water, in the car, then planted the next morning on some DGAF.

I reckon I'll be repotting these in summer also.
My Little Russian Survivors!

20200721_134612.jpg

20200721_134606.jpg

20200721_134603.jpg

20200721_134546.jpg

20200721_134533.jpg

Oh, and that little juniper cutting seems to also be growing!

These are from the park by Ozinga Stadium in Joliet...Joliet? Maybe Crest Hill?..anyway...there are hundreds more. And the mother tree got that good hair.

Sorce

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
It is what I keep saying. Trunkchop in late spring, and you get tighter internodes. Summer growth is much slower than spring growth.
What is your trick to deciduous cuttings? Being new to cuttings beyond taking them for mom I haven’t had any luck. Trying random samples all year trying rooting hormone water etc. I haven’t found a good way to nail down what works yet. I’m leaving them all in until spring at least as they still “feel” green.

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
Well dang nabbit Sorce! Now I’ve got to go and get me one of these. The node thing is pretty darn cool, but I’ve never really had a look at Amurs before and they are bootyful. The Arctic Trident. You should work for the Ginnala marketing board.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The node thing

The more I look at wild specimens, the more I see how easy it should be to find a regimen to keep these nodes up. The final branching in the canopy is always so tight. Love these.

Highly recommended.

Sorce

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
Wow! Do they have one!?
Yes, several actually. The largest being “The Ginnala Tonic Society”. Their slogan is, “When the maple hits your eye like and it’s lobes are in tri, that’s Amur hey”! 😁

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
There’s a few places in the uk I’ve found. Are you struggling then?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Their slogan is, “When the maple hits your eye like and it’s lobes are in tri, that’s Amur hey”!

This will remain one of the finest things I've ever encountered here! Nice!

Updizzle.

_DSC0178.JPG

_DSC0179.JPG

These have done so well I may Go collect the other thousand or so seedlings and grow them for availability.

Sorce

PS. the few I left "hydro" in a cut water bottle of water are still alive. These are G. A. F.!

Sorce

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Absolutely going to grab a few handfuls of amur seeds this fall. Dunno why I always wait so long to get right

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
This will remain one of the finest things I've ever encountered here! Nice!

Updizzle.

View attachment 326829

View attachment 326830

These have done so well I may Go collect the other thousand or so seedlings and grow them for availability.

Sorce

PS. the few I left "hydro" in a cut water bottle of water are still alive. These are G. A. F.!

Sorce
Aw shucks! 🤗

I’m definitely getting me a couple this winter to grow out next year. What’s the growth rate like compared to tridents? In terms of bulking I mean.

P.S. What does the G stand for?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What does the G stand for?

Gangster! Lol!

I believe bulking rates vary due to many controllable circumstances.

Making an answer "less than trident", and "more than trident", both true.

Sorce

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Tried doing some research on “bulking rates” of AT but obviously... there’s too many variables. By and large it seems like folks use them for shohin and I think that has something to do with trunk thickening, but I’m not speaking from experience. Kind of bummed to see how lumpy they CAN look. I guess every cut gets the knobbers? Excited to hear and see that branching tends to be severe and angular. Definitely shooting for a literati style while I learn the species. Always loved how sharp JRP branched, no I can have it plus some seasonal interest and “winter no fuss”

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
As I look at my 4 month old trident seedling, I can’t imagine too many trees have the genes to compete. Swole

Top Bottom