A Bunch of Quinces

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This has been a very fine year for my flowering quinces. Here are 3 of them.

The first one is my Pink Lady flowering quince. It began to blossom in the first week of December and is just now winding down.

I posted the second one, a Speciosa, earlier this year. Here it has all the flowers it can produce. Next year, there will be more. It is a collected tree, a division of a much larger plant, and is over 80 years old.

My Toyo Nishiki is the last in this series. This tree is a division of a cutting I bought from Brent in 2000. After division in 2001, it didn't flower until 2006. In 2008, I added 2 more cuttings. These new additions are the red variety of Toyo Nishiki. This tree is not the usual clump-style quince bonsai. It is roots-connected. This tree is young, and developing slowly. Still, because of the swirling sprawl of roots and the way suckers have sprung up, I am happy with it.

In these three quinces, and the two that will follow, my idea is the same: I want to provide as rugged a framework as possible to contrast with the display of flowers.

Attachments

• pl3-23-09.jpg
    pl3-23-09.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 106
  • ronquince.jpg
    ronquince.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 116
  • toyo nishiki.jpg
    toyo nishiki.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 109

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here are the last 2 quinces I have to show.

The first one is a Toyo Nishiki Red, which I got from Brent in 2003. I originally purchased it with the idea of grafting it onto my other Toyo Nishiki, but it never happened. Now I am thinking about making a single trunk bonsai and maybe grafting a few white branches on it. This tree has always been a terrific bloomer.

Finally, here is my Utamaro flowering quince. Unlike everything else I have, this is a Japonica cultivar. The flowers are a very unusual orange-red. I made this clump over a period of years by fusing a whole bunch of cuttings I got from Brent. This clump is still in development, still fusing. Eventually, I will raise it a bit higher in the pot so the base will be more visible.

I hope you enjoy my trees and the flowers they show.

Attachments

• toyo red.jpg
    toyo red.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 60
  • utamaro.jpg
    utamaro.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 64

Boondock

Shohin
Reaction score
fredtruck, I love your Quinces, the Pink Lady is very nice in that shallow and simple rectangle pot. It must be cool to have these flowers so early in the season.

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks, Boondock. It is wonderful to have flowers early. It really makes the long, harsh midwestern winter much more enjoyable.

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Fred,

Beautiful Flowers! I love quinces. Thanks for posting!

Ryan

Top Bottom