A few Junipers .....

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Here are a few twist em up Junis wired for future structure and shape - there are more I've done (I think I counted 13 in all) but you'll get the idea from the pics - no need to bore anyone. They all started as air layers from my stock trees, usually wired when small then tweaked when they get separated. This one was wired and then left to thicken a bit, it's about 2 fingers thick but it's one of 4 that's not ready to cut yet:

2017-08-24_07-57-31 by Paul Pashley, on Flickr

Wiring them up with interesting twists in the planning stage saves a lot of time later on trying to make it look decent once it's separated. This one I didn't get round to - it was a bit lanky and had a little movement but not much - it was a bit boring

IMG_20170824_134410_DRO by Paul Pashley, on Flickr

So I decided to wire it out and do a style I haven't done on the others
IMG_20170824_160919_DRO by Paul Pashley, on Flickr

There's quite a few twisty uprights. I've left on several excess branches as sacrifices / future jins for interest and basal thickening on all the trees. I've pig tailed wired them so they will look in keeping with the trunks. This tall, informal upright has been prepped to air layer later from a low back branch while it thickens the base - an air layer from an air layer :)

IMG_20170824_161919_DRO by Paul Pashley, on Flickr

IMG_20170824_161543_DRO by Paul Pashley, on Flickr

IMG_20170824_161441_DRO by Paul Pashley, on Flickr

IMG_20170824_161303_DRO by Paul Pashley, on Flickr

This one is a bit unusual - a 3 tree half donut raft - but will need more growing out
IMG_20170824_165448_DRO by Paul Pashley, on Flickr

A twin trunk
IMG_20170824_164258_DRO by Paul Pashley, on Flickr

A lot of the small shoots were really delicate so they were left to be wired when they had more vigour. All trees will be allowed to grow free next year apart from thinning out the bottoms and making sure any top shoots don't dominate and shade out the laterals. As far as possible each branch has been pruned to ensure alternate, lateral branching on the secondaries. I've almost emptied my wire seconds box doing these trees :p

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice !
I realy love that cascading one going to be a nice one!

Also the twintrunk is cool
the one branch on the big trunk on the left has to go but you probably know that already!
they seem to be at the same height
you probably know this to lol but if you remove it you can bring the one above down to fil the gap when it grown some more

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. It's still very early days for these trees and given their youth & vigour it'll be a few more rounds of growing, pruning & wiring before they really start to look like bonsai.

Top Bottom