A few new pots

pjkatich

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Now that the marathon oval pot thread is behind me, I though you might be interested in seeing what else was coming out of the kiln.

Below are a few of the other pots that I was working on.

The first two photos are semi-cascade pots.

The third photo is an experimental pot. I have been working on this particular glaze application for a while and I think I finally got it right.

The last two photos are a couple of cascade pots.

Please let me know what you think.

Regards,
Paul

Attachments

• IMG_0003a.jpg
    IMG_0003a.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0006a.jpg
    IMG_0006a.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0051a.jpg
    IMG_0051a.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0063a.jpg
    IMG_0063a.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0064a.jpg
    IMG_0064a.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 37

mapleman77

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I really like all of the pots! Of all, though, 3 is my definite favorite...what is it and how did you do it? I would want that kind of pot for an old, rugged Japanese Maple or something similar....

David

pjkatich

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I really like all of the pots! Of all, though, 3 is my definite favorite...what is it and how did you do it?

Thanks for the feedback David.

That particular pot is glazed in a variant of the white mud-crack glaze I have shown here before.

Below is a photo of a recent pot with the original white mud-crack glaze.

I have been tweaking the formula for some time now to get the effect shown on the above pot. I call this particular variant "Lizard skin".

I would want that kind of pot for an old, rugged Japanese Maple or something similar....David

It's interesting that you mention using this pot for a maple. That is what I had in mind when I put this combination together.

Regards,
Paul

Attachments

• IMG_0001a.jpg
    IMG_0001a.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 41

mapleman77

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi Paul,
I like the older version of the same style of pot too, but I have to admit that I think that you've perfected your pot with the 3rd on the first post! I really do love it a lot.

In fact, when I saw the pot, I just saw an antique, dignified maple BAM right there....it actually surprised me a little bit. When I start getting ready to pot some of my maples, I'll send you an email to buy one of those....

Cheers!
David

snobird

Mame
Reaction score
Pot 3 is beautiful. Where did I put my wallet again?

ketoi

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
#3 gets my vote as well, the others are nice but the lizard skin's da ****!!

Very nice Paul!!

pjkatich

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
David, snobird, and kitoi,

Thanks for the compliments, I appreciate you input very much.

Here are a few more for you viewing pleasure.

Regards,
Paul

Attachments

• IMG_0012a.jpg
    IMG_0012a.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0032a.jpg
    IMG_0032a.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0046a.jpg
    IMG_0046a.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 26

BUBBAFRGA

Mame
Reaction score
Paul,

really like the thrid one but all of yours are great

redvw5

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think all your pots look nice. Do you sell any pots?

crhabq

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Paul,
As always outstanding work. As far as pot 3, "lizard skin", you should get your patent application on this glaze in yesterday! A little extra retirement income can't hurt. Very nice! Didn't I call 18a "lizard-skinny"? This is much more so and such nice even reticulation. Great work. You know you could probably quit your day job and go into bonsai pottery full time. Thanks for the post.

pjkatich

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As always, nice work!

Rob

Thanks Rob, I appreciate you taking the time to comment.

What has you weather been like the past few days? It has been raining here for 4 straight days now. My rain gauge topped out at 12" sometime Tuesday night and we are still counting.

I look forward to seeing some of your new work soon.

Regards,
Paul

pjkatich

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Paul,

really like the thrid one but all of yours are great

Hi Francis, it's good to hear from you.

Thanks for the positive feedback.

When you see Josh C. at the next meeting, ask him how he likes his new pot. It's the first cascade pot pictured above.

Regards,
Paul

pjkatich

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Paul,
As always outstanding work. As far as pot 3, "lizard skin", you should get your patent application on this glaze in yesterday! A little extra retirement income can't hurt. Very nice! Didn't I call 18a "lizard-skinny"? This is much more so and such nice even reticulation. Great work. You know you could probably quit your day job and go into bonsai pottery full time. Thanks for the post.

Hello Ray,

Thank you very much for the kind words of encouragement.

In regards to 18a, I believe you did. That was an earlier version of the glaze show above. I have been having fun experimenting with this particular glaze formula. The results have been very encouraging. However, I still have a few kinks to work out before I can head off to the patent office.

Have a great day.

Best wishes,
Paul

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Rob, I appreciate you taking the time to comment.

What has you weather been like the past few days? It has been raining here for 4 straight days now. My rain gauge topped out at 12" sometime Tuesday night and we are still counting.

I look forward to seeing some of your new work soon.

Regards,
Paul

PJ,

Its been a constant rain up until a few hours ago. We are up to 10" in my neck of the woods but not flooded or anything.

I displayed some of my new pots on my website and over at the IBC. I am accepting a 3/4 ton shipment of clay tomorrow and I am very anxious to start a new round soon!

Thanks for thinking of me;)

mapleman77

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi Paul,

I really like all of your pots. They just exude quality! Seriously, though, are you going to sell your pots? I really want to put some of my future JM bonsai in those "lizard skin" pots--they would just look completely awesome in there!

In any case you really need to patent that design and make a lot of $$ because that design is amazing!!!

I'll say what everyone else is saying--GREAT WORK!!!!

David

pjkatich

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Paul,

I really like all of your pots. They just exude quality! Seriously, though, are you going to sell your pots? I really want to put some of my future JM bonsai in those "lizard skin" pots--they would just look completely awesome in there!

In any case you really need to patent that design and make a lot of $$ because that design is amazing!!!

I'll say what everyone else is saying--GREAT WORK!!!!

David

Thanks David, I appreciate your words of encouragement.

Regards,
Paul

TeKmInIbI

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3b
Wow great work!
Do you make and sell pots?
I would love to purchase some, custom if possible ;)

Top Bottom