Acacia tree bending help

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There are currently no thorns on this tree but if it helps the leaflets to fold in during night time.
As was mentioned above, that is one of the Albizias. Big leaves...don't know how they reduce. It'll have to be a big bonsai. Also...you'll have to give it some sunlight.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Beautiful flowers they have
That's what drew me to it. ;) It got a brutal repot yesterday, but all the leaves are open and happy today. So I guess it will be alright.

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yep, like a BRT. Also, if they get dry.
I love that. All Acacias do that to. Just for fun I put my Acacia bonsai in my well lit garage. When the light fades outside, they close their leaves to. They don't work by sensing the light. They must have a timer inside of them....fascinating.

butlern

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Fuzz-ball type yellow flowers in spring on mine, but no pictures. Pods look like swollen green beans... also no pictures.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Not Albizia. More likely Wild Tamarind - Leucaena leucocephala...
WT 20190306_151701.jpg
WTf Posted 072720 edited.JPG

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mmm guess it's in the OP hands to get it positively identified.
There's more trees with pinnately compound leaves...

Kynewt

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Not Albizia. More likely Wild Tamarind - Leucaena leucocephala...
View attachment 318930
View attachment 318932

it does very well look like this. Now I’m really curious because when I bought the the tag was just labeled “Acacia” nothing else. Now im curious on how to positively identify this so I can fully understand the trees requirements...

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
it does very well look like this. Now I’m really curious because when I bought the the tag was just labeled “Acacia” nothing else. Now im curious on how to positively identify this so I can fully understand the trees requirements...
Take it to a few nurseries. Let us know plz mate.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
When it blooms in 10 or 20 years you can take a photo of that and the pod that follows. With those and knowledge of the leaf size and count and spines you can begin to match that to published descriptions.

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
When it blooms in 10 or 20 years you can take a photo of that and the pod that follows. With those and knowledge of the leaf size and count and spines you can begin to match that to published descriptions.
That’s the best way to get a positive identification! Plus it shows the dedication needed for bonsai!

Kynewt

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I will take it to a nursery and update everyone on wednesday. I did download a plant identifier app(idk how reliable these are) but got this result.1F2CDA7F-CCD9-453D-956E-4FF18B3ABB22.png

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
This is a continuation of the principal that everyone eventually understands: If the seller doesn't have a proper name tag on a tree, that probably speaks to the quality of the vendor, or lack thereof. Every tree should have two Latin names on a tag.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I will take it to a nursery and update everyone on wednesday. I did download a plant identifier app(idk how reliable these are) but got this result.View attachment 318974
If you liked that, wait until you get the blank stares or dumb answers at the nurseries that are all 1,500 miles north of semi-tropical Acacia.

Lumaca

Mame
Reaction score

I might be wrong but the leaves look like Samanea Saman, which is super common roadside tree where I am.

Top Bottom