Acclimating to new climate

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The cellar where the temperatures are between 37 and 41 degrees F is your best option. My garage is only slightly warmer and ume have done well there.

I've received shipped trees that were dormant at -10 degrees with no ill effects except to me, worrying about whether they'd make it.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Be wary of vermin in that location. I've kept trees in basement walk outs similar to yours and have had them girdled/stripped of bark by mice seemingly overnight...and they seem to really like fruit trees. I'd lay a few spring loaded traps baited w/ peanut butter around the tree just to be safe.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Be wary of vermin in that location. I've kept trees in basement walk outs similar to yours and have had them girdled/stripped of bark by mice seemingly overnight...and they seem to really like fruit trees. I'd lay a few spring loaded traps baited w/ peanut butter around the tree just to be safe.

Look like this?2014-11-29 00.20.08.jpg2014-11-29 00.20.08.jpg

Sarsonator

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Dang it! I'm bummed, but I really appreciate you guys giving me the heads up.

PA mice are total jerks and I live in an old house, so I see them occasionally, mainly in the late autumn and in the spring. I didn't know they were so keen on tree bark. I haven't had much success with spring traps, so I am going back to the drawing board.

qwade

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I wouldn't be that concerned about shipping. These are cold hardy trees. They are however, depending on the cultivar, going to be a 'zone stretch' , to be grown year round in your area.The biggest problem is the early blooming. Hard freezes after it blooms, which would probably be like march in your area, can cause damage to the tree.This is the reason I never tried them. Their nice but will need to be protected after blooming. You will have to do that '2 step' that was recently discussed in another thread. Now I don't know how old your tree is but you may have a non issue this year as it may not be old enough to bloom. The tree will be somewhat protected in the box. A little stressed maybe, but should be fine. Garage till spring would be best. Good luck

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Bonsai two-step = taking your frost sensitive, foliaged tree out of protective enclosure in the AM to receive as much sun as possible during the day, then placing it back into the protective enclosure in the pm to prevent frost damage that night.

Hunted down the two step since it was mentioned in my thread. ;)

Sarsonator

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just an update, in case anyone finds themself in the same boat someday. The tree arrived dormant, and was kept in the basement walkout for several weeks, with protection in case of mice.

One the daytime temps increased, I did the two step for awhile. Temps have been reasonable at night lately, so the tree has been outside overnight, and is doing great. It's fully in leaf and seems quite happy. I love the red tips on the leaves. Very pretty.

Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone!

Top Bottom