Acer Katsura project#1

AndyJ

Shohin
Reaction score
it takes a bit of ground work.ive been to most of the wholesale, bareroot, landscape, tree nurserys and garden centres within a 50 mile radius of where i live.
up north you have a lot of open space with large houses with large gardens, so im sure theres an even bigger market up there for large landscape shrubs and trees.
if i go to my local garden centres rarely do they even stock hornbeam or beech because noone buys it but if i go out in surrey or kent there is loads.

I think I need to cast my net a bit wider then and try and do some more rooting out! Thanks Bobby

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I think I need to cast my net a bit wider then and try and do some more rooting out! Thanks Bobby

a few years ago on the old IBC forum, i would get jealous when peeps were posting these hornbeams from their local nursery or finding them in skips etc. im still yet to find a tree in a skip!

this chap was in east anglia and he bought this lump of hornbeam from a local nursery

now i can go an find material like this all the time. just goes to show, with a little bit of groundwork most things are attainable

AndyJ

Shohin
Reaction score
a few years ago on the old IBC forum, i would get jealous when peeps were posting these hornbeams from their local nursery or finding them in skips etc. im still yet to find a tree in a skip!

this chap was in east anglia and he bought this lump of hornbeam from a local nursery

now i can go an find material like this all the time. just goes to show, with a little bit of groundwork most things are attainable

Wow that’s impressive! I know what you mean about not finding stuff in skips - I’ve never had any luck with skip finds either. There was a house near me a couple of years ago that had a whole yew hedge ripped out. Big trees too probably about four foot high and looking at the age of the house, I’d say the trees were pretty old, loads of ramification. I drove past the house everyday on my way to and from work and then one day, on my way home, no hedge! The whole lot had been ripped up and taken away in the time i was in work! Such a shame would have been some real good stuff in there I’m sure. That was a kind of near miss for me and that’s the only time I‘ve seen an old hedge removed.

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I really struggle to find any nursery centre material where I live. Other than the seedlings that also get sold in supermarkets. i guess there’s not much call for them up in the North of England!
Plantsman's Corner - some good stuff there.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
pruned back vigorous shoots in the crown again, and few other areas...

20200528_190323.jpg20200528_191504.jpg20200528_191735.jpg20200528_191924.jpg

im settled on the favoured front now, its here where i can see right into the tree...
i like how the main trunk splits into 3....at different heights. i need some back budding to fill in the blue circle, will work on training new shoots into that area
20200528_192052.jpg

LCD35

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
How has it shaped up in the past year?

Top Bottom