Acer Negundo (Boxelder Maple) #1

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Your photo shows one of the problems you are working with, varying inter-node lengths, a couple short, then a long, inter-node. This is a constant battle with many deciduous trees.

I would suggest you plan on "going large" somewhere in the 24 to 48 inch tall range. The bigger the more likely the proportions will look more natural.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Your photo shows one of the problems you are working with, varying inter-node lengths, a couple short, then a long, inter-node. This is a constant battle with many deciduous trees.

I would suggest you plan on "going large" somewhere in the 24 to 48 inch tall range. The bigger the more likely the proportions will look more natural.

Yeah. My intent is for this to be medium sized. The internodes being different lengths isnt something I was too concerned with. I figured all trees had variable internode lengths to some extent.

Any buds on the lower trunk?

Tough to tell because of the texture on the trunk and size of the buds. There are spots with what look like some potential buds. We will see in spring.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Couple pics from today. A squirrel ripped it out of pot a month ago. Pushed it back in and spread catnip around the trees... no more squirrel problems since. Lignifying over nicely.

20200125_153845.jpg

20200125_153900.jpg

Cmd5235

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I’m excited to see how this turns out. I field collected two big Boxelders (trunk around 4 inches), so I’m looking to keep internodes short. Thanks for taking an atypical bonsai species and giving it a shot!

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks. Will be checking out the trees this weekend for potential and Ill update. Tree is going to get a light repotting this year and we'll see how it does with a better fertilization schedule.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Repotted this tree today. May have been a bit early, but with the weather so mild, I felt it wasn't an issue. I will be putting it outside on days and protected at night when temps potentially will drop below freezing - which doesn't seem to be too many nights at all, actually.

Before repotting. The bottom part of the tree has a nice gray texture now. Very interesting transformation of the lower bark in a single winter dormant season.
20200311_210001.jpg

Some of the buds at the top of the tree seemed to have swollen just ever so slightly and gained a slight hint of color.
20200311_210020.jpg

The root ball before teasing out the roots. This tree was planted in 100% Napa 8822. The amount of fine feeder roots was incredible on the tree.
20200311_210150.jpg

Front after root pruning. The roots in the front of the tree are the best, though there are several good angles based solely on nebari. This will be the front for a while though, now. Will likely not repot next spring, and let grow out a season after two years of playing with the roots.
20200311_211758.jpg

Tree in it's position in the pot.
20200311_211939.jpg

Finished repotting. I like the subtle curve in the trunk. A potential for this summer is to remove the right, thicker branch and keep the thinner branch to keep the tree's taper in check. Will see how it grows this year.
20200311_214234.jpg

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Leaves and buds popping nicely. Should be in full growth in a week or so. Looking at the lower part of trunk, there look to be some potential power buds also swelling. Might be able to hard chop this to a lower bud if a strong enough branch appears.

20200329_132023.jpg

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Leaves look healthy and small. Happy with the tree so far. Moved inside for this two-day cold snap we are getting. Buds lower on trunk also moving. Fertilized with 4-3-3. Will feed with 1/4 strength miracle grow this week when trees are back outside.

20200506_183249.jpg

Cmd5235

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Looking good! I got my hand on a few including an absolute monster that I’m deciding on what to do with.

Cmd5235

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Looks good! I noticed mine have been throwing out a few more shoots in the last week I was away- let me know how you make out with any leaf reduction

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Leaves are all currently small so no reduction necessary this year. Letting grow without doing any pruning. I removed a couple leaves to allow light in and pinched off some new extending growth on the strongest leader to encourage the tree to send resources lower which explains the back budding. I'm thinking a hard cut next year about halfway down.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Some updates as fall moves in and leaves start to drop. Not much color yet on this tree.

20200926_225708.jpg

20200926_225735.jpg

I'm thinking I might cut back to one of these two branches next year. This tree grows roots like crazy and it will need another repot next year. It's a solid block of roots...
20200926_225933.jpg

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I'm surpised at the many lenticels on the trunk : I've never seen that on Acer negundo before... ??? :oops:

I have a big 'Flamingo' in my frontyard garden, and a couple of self-sowed "plain" ones that I regularly prune in the backgarden jungle, I've never spotted that. It's night here now, so I'll go and check tomorrow between two showers of rain.

Last edited:

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Nice progression!
Your thread has me thinking about trying one of these.
literally everywhere I look around the yard.
they pop up everywhere, even in the shadiest spots.

Top Bottom