Acer palmatum beni chidori (from cutting)

clem

Chumono
Reaction score
hello, i cut some branches on this tree. Some sacrifice branches on the back of the tree and the crown.
acer palmatum beni chidori 2022 08 30 (1).JPG
acer palmatum beni chidori 2022 08 30 (2).JPG

Here is the back of the tree. Maybe it will become the front, despite the scars, because the base is bigger and the second part of the trunk is concave, more elegant.
acer palmatum beni chidori 2022 08 30 (6).JPG
acer palmatum beni chidori 2022 08 30 (7).JPG

The nebari on the back lack of front roots, so i'll probably perform thread grafts with Beni Chidori cuttings, next spring ->
acer palmatum beni chidori 2022 08 30 (9).JPG

the Beni Chidori cuttings in their small pots, to make it easier to place them ->
acer palmatum beni chidori 2022 08 30 (11).JPG
acer palmatum beni chidori 2022 08 30 (13).JPG
acer palmatum beni chidori 2022 08 30 (14).JPG

giventofly

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Quick question, why did you put the cutting inside a bigger pot? You want the roots to grow from the inside to the bigger bucket ?

clem

Chumono
Reaction score
I put those narrow & small pots in a bigger pot to increase their stability (as they can fall very easily) and to increase the humidity around the cuttings. I plan to get those little pots out of the bigger bucket to cut the roots that stick out of the draining holes, every month or so.. I want to keep all the roots in those little pots to increase the chances that those cuttings survive after thread graft..

lorenzo92

Seed
Reaction score
Do you have any contact of the nursery and do you know if they can ship the plants?

ibakey

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very interesting thread! I had trouble sourcing for a benichidori and only managed to get a seedling but your route seems to be much faster!
I am also located in france too, hopefully i can make a trip down to the nursery.

Do you know if he delivers within france?

mandrei99

Seedling
Reaction score
Ordered 4xBeniChidori in January. Arrived in good condition. They are grafted.

ibakey

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ordered 4xBeniChidori in January. Arrived in good condition. They are grafted.
Thats nice! You ordered a small tree like clem or a young plant ?
Ah, grafted. But i guess we can always airlayer later on.

clem

Chumono
Reaction score
Very interesting thread! I had trouble sourcing for a benichidori and only managed to get a seedling but your route seems to be much faster!
I am also located in france too, hopefully i can make a trip down to the nursery.

Do you know if he delivers within france?
Yes he delivers within France, but only in Winter (dormancy) ;) I recieved some cuttings from him this way...
If you want to buy a good pre-Bonsai, the best is to visit the nursery and choose a tree you like. If you want to start from cutting, it is fine to recieve a young cutting from the post office because they are all the same (good rooting on every cutting)

clem

Chumono
Reaction score
On this tree, i performed thread grafting with 3 Beni Chidori cuttings a week ago

On those pics, you can see the lack of roots in the middle of the nebari (on front and back face) ->
acer palmatum beni chidori 2023 03 13 (2).JPG
acer palmatum beni chidori 2023 03 13 (1).JPG

So i grafted 1 cutting on the front, and 2 on the back ->
acer palmatum beni chidori 2023 03 13 (3).JPG
acer palmatum beni chidori 2023 03 13 (4).JPG
acer palmatum beni chidori 2023 03 13 (5).JPG
acer palmatum beni chidori 2023 03 13 (6).JPG
acer palmatum beni chidori 2023 03 13 (7).JPG

With some healing paste ->

acer palmatum beni chidori 2023 03 13 (9).JPG
acer palmatum beni chidori 2023 03 13 (10).JPG
acer palmatum beni chidori 2023 03 13 (11).JPG

ibakey

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Alright. I now have to find an excuse for a road trip to the west of france so as to do the nursery visit, might as well visit Brest while i am at it since its not far from it.
I think your tree is coming along very nicely and accelerated! the nebari and trunk improved tremendously over the past few years. The shallow wooden box really helps I can tell.
Did you make the box yourself? I think i just might have to get myself to castorama or leroy merlin one of these days to get myself some wood planks.

clem

Chumono
Reaction score
Yes, i made the wood box, it is easy to do it and you can do what you need (size, height) :cool:

clem

Chumono
Reaction score
Unfortunatly, all the grafts died after the spring growth. Maybe it is because they were strangled and they couldn't grow freely.
Next spring i will perform AUTO-grafts only (to create new sacrifice branches and new roots by ground layering)

The tree at the end of August ->
acer palmatum beni chidori 2023 08 24 (1).JPG

After the clip ->
acer palmatum beni chidori 2023 08 24 (2).JPG
acer palmatum beni chidori 2023 08 24 (3).JPG

As scar completly closed ->
acer palmatum beni chidori 2023 08 24 (5).JPG

I don't know yet how the scar bump will evolve... Will the bump scar be swallowed by the trunk ? (1) or will it remain forever ? (2)
acer palmatum beni chidori 2023 08 24 (5)virt2.jpg

Driftwood

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi, nice development sequence. Could u comment how big (diameter) has the nebari and trunk grown since 2019? So are u going to ground layer to improve the nebari? It doesn't look that bad for me, just need time and work. About the 'scar bump' it looks like its almost close and not that bumpy, will never disappear completely but I guess it will look smaller or hardly noticeable.
Thx u for sharing.

clem

Chumono
Reaction score
Hi, nice development sequence. Could u comment how big (diameter) has the nebari and trunk grown since 2019? So are u going to ground layer to improve the nebari? It doesn't look that bad for me, just need time and work. About the 'scar bump' it looks like its almost close and not that bumpy, will never disappear completely but I guess it will look smaller or hardly noticeable.
Thx u for sharing.
Hi,
at the beginning, the trunk diameter was approx. 2,5cm (= 1 inch); now it is maybe 2 inches depending on the height where you take the measurements (tapper)
acer palmatum beni chidori 2024 01 30.JPG
If you want quicker results, i guess it is better to grow "normal" japanese maples. Cultivars are often weaker. I have grown a "normal" japanese maple for 1 year a few years ago, and the growth was far more generous.

To improve the nebari, i'll perform auto thread gafts + fixing a ring of wire to ground layer the small branches grafted at the same time. I'll show pics this spring. I could let the nebari like that, ok, but i want to find a "nebari improvement technique" that works on my JM cultivars. Thread graft of cuttings = 100% failure with this cultivar. Maybe with a normal JM it would work because the cuttings would be stronger. 🤔

Top Bottom