Acer palmatum beni tsukasa (from cutting)

clem

Chumono
Reaction score
yes, first of all = create large nebari + large trunk with sacrifice branches + heavy fertilisation.
Secondly = thread graft definitive branches + less fertilisation (lower inter-nodes)

PS : IMO in order to close the scars quicker, it is important to keep at least 1 sacrifice branche to keep a good growth on the tree and then a good healing speed. If you cut all the sacrifice branches in just 1 time, and if you start to pinch your tree, the scars will close very very slowly because the tree will grow very slowly too. So, IMO, the best is to keep the last sacrifice branche at the back of the tree, because the last scar to close will not be visible on the front.

Last edited:

Davidlpf

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ebihara's large cuts are flat or convex so i'm not sure ->
View attachment 512117

If the cut is flat, the trunk must thicken more to cover it, if it is convex, even more....or your will have a bump. That not bad if it is what you want....all depends in your POV.
img_4829.jpg

In this shindeshojo, I made a concave cut years ago..
ago68.jpg

A little more of fattening
20200401_153808.jpg

And today, only a different color in the bark remind us that there were a cut
Imagen de WhatsApp 2023-10-06 a las 11.08.57_baeaf804.jpg
Fron the side.
Imagen de WhatsApp 2023-10-06 a las 11.08.57_d248729d.jpg

Good luck!!

Cheers.

clem

Chumono
Reaction score
your experience is interesting and your pics show me that the trunk tend to swallow the scar bump.. that is a good news for me as i have "scar bumps" every time, whatever the type of cut (concave of flat)

Davidlpf

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
your experience is interesting and your pics show me that the trunk tend to swallow the scar bump.. that is a good news for me as i have "scar bumps" every time, whatever the type of cut (concave of flat)
Don't be shy and go inside the trunk. Even large wound will be sealed completly if you have enough patience. Is only a matter of time.

Take a look to this Peter's tree. It was worked with an axe in the early sixtys

foto (1).jpg

And in 2020 looked like this, no mark of the wound at all!!

foto_new2.jpg

More info about it in this video click,click

Sorry for hijack your post.

Cheers!

Attachments

• foto_new2.jpg
    foto_new2.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 60
  • foto (1).jpg
    foto (1).jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 36
Last edited: