Acer Palmatum not looking healthy

akhater

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just got as gift an Acer Palmatum (dunno which cultivar) and it looks really tired.

just a few leaves that are not vigorous and the trunk, instead of being green, is yellowish with some black.

The substrate is not good either but I really doubt it can handle a repotting right now!

I need all the help and advise I can get to make it regain strength, since it is still alive then we still have hopes

Some pics

Attachments

• 23042011156 copy.jpg
    23042011156 copy.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 193
  • 23042011157 copy.jpg
    23042011157 copy.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 175
  • 23042011159 copy.jpg
    23042011159 copy.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 146
  • 23042011160 copy.jpg
    23042011160 copy.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 165

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I can't see anything obvious in the pictures. It looks perfectly healthy.

You can repot if you don't cut any roots. Just be sure soil is worked into the rootball completely. No air pockets.

akhater

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
JKL thanks for taking the time to reply.

You mean the trunk color is ok ? yellowing with some dark (blackish) spots ?

I surely prefer not to repot it until fall if you think it can make it till then however it is root bound in the current container

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
hard to see anything in those photos, but looks fine. the trunk will be green or some shade thereof when younger and will grey as it ages. what I see in your photos looks normal.

akhater

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Don Blackmond, I think then I will leave it in peace for the time being and feed it well...

akhater

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
can any one help me identify what cultivar it is ? I suspect an atropurpureum but how to be sure ?

A close up on a leaf

thanks

Attachments

• 29042011194.jpg
    29042011194.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Bloodgood? That may be the ony one that would do well in Lebanon.

akhater

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
this is what i had in mind...

I found a fireglow one that I am thinking to buy... Would it do fine as bonsai ?

Can it be layered and live on its roots ?

It is for $100 so i d better not mess with my choice

Last edited:

jferrier

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks fine to me. Looks like the leaves are still very new. They often look sort of droopy right after they come out in the spring. Is it grafted? It looks like a regular red palmatum to me. Bloodgood is usually much darker maroon.

jferrier

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Also, almost any variety of Japanese maple can make a nice bonsai, and almost any palmatum will airlayer. The laceleafs are not always reliable with layering though.

akhater

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
thanks for the reply, yes I'm planning to layer it

The fireglow i found is not grafted (at least I didnt see one) and was seeing if it will be easy to layer, the trunk has a ppretty nice trunk

Last edited:

jferrier

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Named varieties must come from the actual parent so unless this tree was started from a cutting or an airlayer, or is grafted, then its not a Fireglow. A tree grown from seed is not a true cultivar. A Fireglow should layer.

Last edited:

akhater

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
i bought it... Will post pics soon
Hope i will be able not to ruin it

akhater

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The tree was layered last year, for this year I had the option to layer it at the base to get a better/good nebari or repot it.

I don't know why I chose to repot it instead and take a look at these roots and get it in a more suitable soil.

done a couple of days ago

By the way it is not a bloodgood, I compared with a bloodgood of a friend and they have totally different colors, it should be an atropurpureum

Attachments

• 10032012054.jpg
    10032012054.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 58
  • 10032012057.jpg
    10032012057.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:

akhater

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
2 weeks after repotting this little guy is leafing out pretty fast but this year the leaves are GREEN !! any idea why ?

20120325_123740.jpg

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It must have been a grafted tree, and you cut the grafted top off completely, so now you have a different tree basically. You have now a tree that was only the rootstock before...

akhater

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Judy and thanks for the continious support, the tree is not grafted and the same branch that was red last year is green now

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Then I don't get it... unless the leaves come out green and then turn red... but you had it come out red last year? hmmmmm...

akhater

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I only had it since last spring but it was red last spring as in the pics start of this post :)

I know they tend to turn to green after a while, this what happened last summer but not to push out green leaves

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have a shrub called a nine bark, that started out as all maroon leaves. Over the years some of the branches have reverted to a green color. Are you sure that this is the same branch? Not that I doubt you, I'm just searching for clues...

Top Bottom