Acer Palmatum not looking healthy

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's my understanding that on red-leaf cultivars, the leaves of Acer Palmatums will turn green if they experience long durations of depleted sunlight (i.e. during a rainy season). I saw it happen on some landscape red-leaf varieties last year during a cloudy/rainy period. Is your tree getting less sunlight for some reason? Also, the pictures at the start of this thread show relatively mature leaves. Have you seen this tree before when its leaves were just starting to open? If not, I would suspect that it's normal for the leaves to start out somewhat green, and, in response to the sunlight, turn red (though I still haven't figured out if this process is because of less chlorophyll production or a greater production of some other chemical).

Last edited:

akhater

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a shrub called a nine bark, that started out as all maroon leaves. Over the years some of the branches have reverted to a green color. Are you sure that this is the same branch? Not that I doubt you, I'm just searching for clues...
I'd like to know why myself :) but yea I am pretty sure it is the same branch

It's my understanding that on red-leaf cultivars, the leaves of Acer Palmatums will turn green if they experience long durations of depleted sunlight (i.e. during a rainy season). I saw it happen on some landscape red-leaf varieties last year during a cloudy/rainy period. Is your tree getting less sunlight for some reason? Also, the pictures at the start of this thread show relatively mature leaves. Have you seen this tree before when its leaves were just starting to open? If not, I would suspect that it's normal for the leaves to start out somewhat green, and, in response to the sunlight, turn red (though I still haven't figured out if this process is because of less chlorophyll production or a greater production of some other chemical).

Yes, as I already stated the leaves of this same tree turned almost all green last year during summer (I keep it in the shade) but all new buds/leaves were red as in the first pictures. What is amazing this year is that they are starting green :D

Will try to expose it more to sun and see what happens

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi akhater, I agree with daygan; It's normal for some cultivars to look green in the early stages, then turn red. and then also to green into summer. I have a seigen that goes through this process, but my red started out completely red this year. Also, a little more morning sun in the spring will generally help with more reds.

akhater

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
OK this one is definitely grafted but I hard time finding the graft point :rolleyes:

this still doesn't explain the difference in colors though :confused:

and layered

thanks

Attachments

• 2012-04-05_114202.jpg
    2012-04-05_114202.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 40
  • 2012-04-05_114213.jpg
    2012-04-05_114213.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 36
  • 2012-04-05_123934.jpg
    2012-04-05_123934.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 36
  • 2012-04-05_125605.jpg
    2012-04-05_125605.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

akhater

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
this one gets a new life, the layer took but didn't survive after I removed it from the parent, it died shortly after, maybe the amount of roots was not enough ?

anyway I am left with a very vigorous base I'd love to turn into a small shohin or mame

IMG_20130420_094637_s.jpg

1. Picture 1 the red arrow: is it a potential future problem because it is forming a bump ? if yes what to do about it ?
2. Picture 1 green arrow: I guess this is higher than the other roots should i section it on next repot next spring ?

IMG_20130420_094551_s.jpg
3. Picture 2: as you can see there are 2 potential leaders, should I chop lower to the red line ? I am looking for a mame or very small shohin size but wondering if I will have to layer eventually

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
It's all tough to determine since nebari is not visible. Take a close look at it. It will help set the direction for what you need to do next. Not sure why you have all those rocks in the soil? I hope it's only top dressing?

As far as the first section swelling up, it is easy to correct. Leave only one branch and cut the rest off. Regarding the root in question, again you need to dig a bit or take the rocks out and find out what's going on below the soil line. If there are other roots circling the trunk below that root, then cut that one off.

akhater

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you @Mach5 for the reply,

Yes the Nebari is burried, here are a few pics of what it looks like (pictures from 2011 before repotting)
23022012007.jpg
23022012008.jpg
23022012009.jpg

regarding the "rocks" no it is not top dressing, it is actually the "soil" I use, this is a mix of LECA 70% + 30% peatmoss and some pine bark this is what I use for all my "trees"

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

Acer palmatums (as well as many other species) protect the photosynthetic apparatus with anthocyanins which are red to purple pigments. If the tree can synthesize anthocyanins, its foliage will exhibit reds/purple tints in fall and when moved to full sun after being shade adapted. They are produced and removed as needed, unlike the yellow carotenoids that are an inherent part of the light harvesting centers.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I don't think its a bloodgood either. I have 2 of them and the leaves aren't that color (even when they first came out) and they don't have green veins. I think the leaves are a different shape as well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom