Advice? Albizia julibrissin Mimosa bonsai seedlings

Reaction score
Hello, I have 3 healthy 1 year old trees. I grew them from seeds I obtained offline from an ad which looked like one of the images I will provide.
So far so good! After 1 year, 3 survive and continue growth.
With much appreciation, could someone take a look at my little ones and help me with the next step, or point me in the right direction to success with this type of tree?I've never grown one before and haven't found a ton of information about them online. I am happy to answer any questions further about them.. Thank you! Screenshot_20190524-204223.png20190131_145604.jpg20190131_145615.jpg20190131_145551.jpg

Attachments

• 20190131_145556.jpg
    20190131_145556.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 20190131_145556.jpg
    20190131_145556.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 1

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
plant one in the ground in a metal mesh basket?

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I'm glad you use the scientific name for the seedlings, it saves a lot of questions as to which Mimosa you have.

Is it possible to grow these seedlings outdoors? You can size them up using nursery pots.

Before you can realistically do any bonsai techniques, the trunks need to be larger in diameter than your thumb. Step these seedlings into larger pots as their roots fill their current pots. Move then outdoors, first into shade, then after a week into full sun. Keep them moist and watch them grow. You can use potting soil while sizing up your trunks. One or two years they will be big enough to begin discussion of what bonsai techniques and when.

eryk2kartman

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I started them from seeds last year, not very impressed with them, gave me a lot of trouble, they need a lot of light, being at the window with direct sunlight for 4h only wast enough, brought them outside, they struggle again, to dry and windy.
So i got greenhouse last winter and they seems to like it a lot, they not tall but getting a lot of branching and nice green color, will take some photos later.
So i have some hopes for them this year, i lost about half of them(around 20 out of 40 germinated) last year.
I did a bit o f experiment and prune the roots in some, they are slow to come back but they are on the way :), i will root prune some unpruned yet next spring and compare overal growing ratio with other ones.

Bon Sai

Mame
Reaction score
Catalonia (Mediterranean South-western Europe)
USDA Zone
9a
Hello, it's not Albizia julibrissin. This species has bipinnately-compound leaves, whereas your pictures show pinnately-compound leaves. If you look closely at the ad pic you will see the bipinnately-compound leaves.

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hello, it's not Albizia julibrissin. This species has bipinnately-compound leaves, whereas your pictures show pinnately-compound leaves. If you look closely at the ad pic you will see the bipinnately-compound leaves.
I think he's right. Here's a pic of an albizia seedling growing in my yard.

2020-09-22 19.10.44.jpg

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I think he's right. Here's a pic of an albizia seedling growing in my yard.

View attachment 330816
Get that joker and throw it in a pot before it gets 15’ tall in the next year...or runs that crazy horizontal stem making hard to collect.

I’ve been looking for ones like that to experiment with. They do grow fast. Y’all are right, always bipinnate. Mimosa usually has micro thorns, Albizia shouldn’t.

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Get that joker and throw it in a pot before it gets 15’ tall in the next year...or runs that crazy horizontal stem making hard to collect.

Did that. lol. Potted up a group of 7 last spring. I have a fairly large one in my front yard.

Now I've noticed that the OP's tree does have bipinnate leaves, but it's not an Albizia anyway. The leaves are different.
That's what prompted me to take the pic to compare.

JuniperSol

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
It could be Albizia Saman, common name Monkey Pods

Top Bottom