Advice for small bonsai plant

gbernwan

Seedling
Reaction score
My uncle recently gave me a very nice plant. I've attached pictures. Does anyone know what kind this is? He gave it to me a few months ago.. but I haven't had a chance to work on it and trim it back. I wanted to make sure it was happy in it's new environment. it seems happy now so I want to read up on any tips for the best way to cut and shape this plant. Any tips are welcome. Thanks!!

photo 1.jpgphoto 2.jpg

coppice

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-A
Looks like a Texas Ebony (pithecellobium flexicaule).

Its a tender tree up here in Ohio, and will need supplimental light till spring. Then outdoors he goes till fall.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Doesn't look like TX Ebony (TE) to me. TE has paired thorns. The bark, leaves (darker green and compact) & branch formation (usually zigzag) also looks different.

Last edited:

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
A Locust perhaps? I am no expert but it def looks close to a lot of 40 ft trees we have. There are a few varieties here but they all share similar qualities to that tree...:confused:

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I agree with Dario. I have a Texas ebony and the bark is more grey. And the branches naturally. Zigzag more.

coppice

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-A
Well its not a KY coffee tree, or an ironwood. An' I'm thinkin' a locust would have the same size problems.

I think I'll shut up for now and let somebody else win this inning.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
My BRT has smoother bark than that.
To me it looks just like a contorted type of locust I picked up at a garden center a couple years ago. I stuck it in a pot, but grew tired of it quickly. If you google contorted locust, there are a couple different types, I had the one called lace lady (I think...)

The bark and knobs on the branches look just like the one I had. This is the only picture I have of it, and it's not a very good one...

Attachments

• IMG_0377.jpg
    IMG_0377.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 30

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
The bark and trunk look a lot like Malphigia. A tropical tree with great smelling flowers. Sometimes called Barbados Cherry-----I think.

gbernwan

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the responses! Based on your responses, looking at the plant and searching the web, I think it is a Texas Ebony. Apparently Texas Ebony and Brazilian Rain Tree plants are from the same family (Legume), but TE have shorter thorns.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here is a pic of the Texas ebony I have. The bark is much lighter/grayer.
image.jpg

gbernwan

Seedling
Reaction score
Yes the leaves close at night. Bark looks similar to your tree. Maybe the lighting wasn't very good when I took my picture. my iPhone doesn't take great pics either).

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
That is not a BRT either. Bark and thorn is different.

FYI, most compound leaves close at night.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Regardless I would treat it like a brt or te until you can figure it out.

gbernwan

Seedling
Reaction score
Starting my trimming now... Will share some pictures later! Phase 1 begins...

augustine

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
My vote is Brazilian Rain Tree. One of my club members brought his at last club meeting, looks the same.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
My vote is Brazilian Rain Tree. One of my club members brought his at last club meeting, looks the same.

Unless the trees bark looks much different than it does in the pictures, it's no BRT. The bark is too different.

Top Bottom