Advice on further development

Krone

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hey!

When i started being interested in bonsai i've got myself these three trees.

20190326_185332.jpg20190326_185420.jpg20190326_185506.jpg

Potentilla fruticosa, Chinese elm, Metasequoia

I got them in early september, they survived the winter (my first great success) and i have repotted them two weeks ago (they were planted in regular soil). I know that they are not some great speciments but i would really appreciate annt suggestions how to further develop them.

I keep them on south-east facing balcony, sun from morning till around 14:00 (2pm).

Thanks!

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Nice.
Are those photo after the repotting? If yes, you did a nice job.

Potentilla - I would have planted it just a little bit deeper. Exposing the roots too early on a young plant will actually delay the development of the nebari.
First branch is too long and straight. I would use wire to bring it outwards, and put a little bend in it. Otherwise a very nice start.. Do your next pruning after the summer solstice. When you want flowers, for that year, you let the potentilla grow without pruning. Flowers come on the current year's growth. Nice.

Chinese elm - The branch coming from underneath the trunk is awkward looking. It is filling a void, I can see why you keep it. But it is not attractive. Elms grow rapidly. & back bud profusely. I would allow this tree to grow. until after the summer solstice. Then I would remove the branch originating from underneath. The elm will create buds all over the trunk. Let the majority grow out for a season, see if any are better placed to become replacements for the awkward branch. Or you can just let the elm grow without any pruning this spring and summer, and see what buds have sprouted when you look at the tree in autumn.

Metasequoia.
I love this species as it is very cold tolerant. My climate is quite a bit colder than yours and I leave my Metasequoia outside, only shelter is protection from wind. this winter we had several nights where temperatures dropped to -25 C, with a one night to -31 C. (-23 F). The pot was set on the ground under the bench it normally grows on. Buds are starting to swell, a little green showing right on time as if it was a gentle winter. Very hardy.

It is a very rapidly growing tree. It will be difficult to keep as a small size bonsai. They are easier to keep as a larger bonsai 0.5 meters and larger. Best ones I've seen are about 1 meter tall. But if you can keep it under control, wonderful.

The very first branch is vertical and arrow straight. I would cut it off now, not flush, but above the collar of swollen bark at the base of the branch. There are many dormant buds in the collar. One or more bud will sprout, and likely it will not be straight vertical. The two branches at the apex are too long, I would reduce their length by half. Take off those three branches, keep it well watered. And by a week or two after the summer solstice this tree should have many more branches than it does now. Prune it again about 2-3 weeks after summer solstice. If it grows rapidly prune again 8 weeks later.

Metasequoia need a lot of water. It will do well if you place the pot in a tray of water for the 3 hottest months of the year. Make sure it does not approach dryness. They are heavy feeders also. Have fun with this very rapidly growing deciduous member of the redwood family.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
These are some pretty nice starters, interesting trunks. I'd keep them small. Some growth allowed and then pruning... You're doing good with them, overwintering and repotting...

Krone

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Many thanks for the awesome tips and advice. It's much more that i have expected :)
Will stick to your guidelines, also they make sense to me, to thanks again. I am sure that i will came up with additional questions very soon :).
And yes, these are photos after the re-potting.

Nanuk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
You're off to a good start Krone. Leo gave you some great advice.
Hang around here a LOT and do a TON of reading. This place is a wealth of information.
Sort of like Bonsai College. Just wear you big boy pants. Some of the best advice will be given rather bluntly.
Be prepared.

Like your trees. Good luck.

Top Bottom