Advice on some Japanese maple bonsai starts. Any potential?

Jhervi

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hows everyone doing today?

Newbie here, living in zone 9b

So I bought some Japanese maple Starts from a well known nursery called Mendocino Maples. I got 4 different starts for $25. They just came in the mail today.

I posted some pictures of each start and wanted to see what you guys think? Any of these have potential to be a good bonsai?

What are the steps/process in turning bonsai starts into a bonsai?I was planning on putting them in larger pots and letting them grow out the rest of the season for now. When early spring rolls around work on pruning and styling.

What do you guys recommend? Whats my best approach?

Attachments

• 20200715_161657.jpg
    20200715_161657.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 51
  • 20200715_161710.jpg
    20200715_161710.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 49
  • 20200715_161757.jpg
    20200715_161757.jpg
    263.6 KB · Views: 48
  • 20200715_161808.jpg
    20200715_161808.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 43
  • 20200715_161831.jpg
    20200715_161831.jpg
    322.6 KB · Views: 42
  • 20200715_161854.jpg
    20200715_161854.jpg
    286.8 KB · Views: 42

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Stick it in the ground and grow em out for a few years :)
Yes this^^^
or put them in pond baskets with a good bonsai mix and let them grow 2 or 3 years before you start trying to design something.

Jhervi

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Yes this^^^
or put them in pond baskets with a good bonsai mix and let them grow 2 or 3 years before you start trying to design something.

Penumbra,

Should I put them in pond baskets and just let them grow and be for 2-3 years or should I heavily prune or trunk chop to start building some trunk mass?They are pretty tall right now atm

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hows everyone doing today?

Newbie here, living in zone 9b

So I bought some Japanese maple Starts from a well known nursery called Mendocino Maples. I got 4 different starts for $25. They just came in the mail today.

I posted some pictures of each start and wanted to see what you guys think? Any of these have potential to be a good bonsai?

What are the steps/process in turning bonsai starts into a bonsai?I was planning on putting them in larger pots and letting them grow out the rest of the season for now. When early spring rolls around work on pruning and styling.

What do you guys recommend? Whats my best approach?
Wire some movement in the bottom foot of the saplings! Then plan on repotting early spring into larger containers or the ground for grow out.My preference is using containers for the first five years while you develop the root ball with careful repotting each year. Then once you have a good basic root base you can put them in the ground or larger containers for another five years. During this second period of five years you can plan cut back and regrow for taper and movement. I would not begin this process until the base is at least 2/3 the finished size you are after! A good target to shoot for in the beginning is a 2 to 2 1/2 inch base before cutback the first time! By then you will be in a better position to judge what you would like to see going forward.
The section you wire now will become the beginning shape of the lower trunk that you will cut back to in order to create taper and movement in the upper portion of the trees design.

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Wire some movement in the bottom foot of the saplings! Then plan on repotting early spring into larger containers or the ground for grow out.My preference is using containers for the first five years while you develop the root ball with careful repotting each year. Then once you have a good basic root base you can put them in the ground or larger containers for another five years. During this second period of five years you can plan cut back and regrow for taper and movement. I would not begin this process until the base is at least 2/3 the finished size you are after! A good target to shoot for in the beginning is a 2 to 2 1/2 inch base before cutback the first time! By then you will be in a better position to judge what you would like to see going forward.
The section you wire now will become the beginning shape of the lower trunk that you will cut back to in order to create taper and movement in the upper portion of the trees design.
I'll follow his advice if I where you. 🌱🍄🔎

Jhervi

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Thanks for the advice, will wire for now and wait till spring to repot. Don't have space to plant in the ground, since I am renting, but will basket plant when the time comes. Have any recommendations for some good containers?

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
@Jhervi since you live in santa rosa, look up lone pine gardens in sebastapol.

They have a ton of bonsai, and pre-bonsai stock- as well as containers. I like 10” terra cotta bulb pans for growing out smaller seedlings. They have affordable production chinese pots.

Redwood empire bonsai society is a huge local club To you for info. I also would follow @River's Edge advice.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks for the advice, will wire for now and wait till spring to repot. Don't have space to plant in the ground, since I am renting, but will basket plant when the time comes. Have any recommendations for some good containers?
At this stage you can use many options as you will repot often. So size up gradually, say once per year. Pick a good shape for Bonsai development of maple root formation. Little wider and not so deep is a good guideline. Based on there current size I would start with a 6-8 inch pot about 4 inches deep. Because you will be fostering lots of growth, a bit heavier pot will help maintain balance and not tip over with extension growth. terra cotta can work well, is less expensive and will handle your climate. By the time they are about five years along I would be into containers similar to Anderson flats. ( the deep propagation style) 15 by 15 by 7 inches deep. ( the trees will be planted deeper and the soil will cover the nebari during development! This depth allows for that with room to spare!

Top Bottom