African strangler fig update.

Reaction score
Its really doing nicely. pumping out new growth and I've got watering down to an art, at first it was overwatered in summer and dropped a few leaves but now on the drier side in the fall winter and loving it. Its at a west window with no outside trees so plenty of light. Its doing well

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice! I’m happy for you. Can we see a picture of it?

I’m trying to get watering down right now. I’m growing ficus in a grow tent with an LED grow light. It’s the only way I can do bonsai. And I have a fan pointing right at my tree, so I think the topsoil dries quicker than normal, but maybe not the deeper soil? I have to get toothpicks or something to test it before watering.

Reaction score
yes ill post photos of it thursday morning when i have a ipad on me and dont have morning work.

im wondering if it should go under lights copmpletely. once the real cold sets in. i have a bullhorn acacia under lights in our plant area because of its size. it ( the strangler ficus) gets alot of morning sun but not so much midday to late day sun. also its right up against the glass so as to maxamize the light.

Its housed in a wharehouse setting so humidity is an issue, (unlike space we have 30 foot celings). but its seems fine without humidity also

Reaction score
because its so close to the glass will cold be an issue. the windows are well insolated but still i wonder.

Reaction score
cant wait to see what it looks like in a few years.

i plan on summering it outside next year, may to september.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
yes ill post photos of it thursday morning when i have a ipad on me and dont have morning work.

im wondering if it should go under lights copmpletely. once the real cold sets in. i have a bullhorn acacia under lights in our plant area because of its size. it ( the strangler ficus) gets alot of morning sun but not so much midday to late day sun. also its right up against the glass so as to maxamize the light.

Its housed in a wharehouse setting so humidity is an issue, (unlike space we have 30 foot celings). but its seems fine without humidity also
I would definitely recommend some grow lights over the winter. It certainly wouldn’t hurt. I can only see it helping. I won’t have any problem with humidity once I get my humidifier next month. It’s easy to raise the humidity in a grow tent with one of those.

Reaction score
It Looks great now, and its getting more light where its at than in our plant area, even with Artificial light.

I have the bullhorn acacia taking up space maybe next year if it outgrows the window i can move it. im excited to get a big bonsai out of it

Top Bottom