Tree for Flat Top African Style

Bolero

Omono
Reaction score
Bald Cypress. I was going to dig one up here in Illinois that a homeowner wanted cut down. They realized that their electrical went right under the tree, so they decided to just keep it. While looking at pictures of them for Bonsai, I discovered several flat-top versions which I found to be quite beautiful. Next year I am going to pick one up because I loved how they look with the flat top styling.

View attachment 254480

Not the African look but very unique none the less....Very nice, very creative....Aplause

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
That is a wonderful bald cypress. Perhaps a little too flat for my taste, but that could easily change.

Bald cypress foliage would work for the acacia look, and young ones have slender flexible trunks that could could be shaped for the style you want.

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You said you were looking for suggestions. 😁😁😁😁
Pittisporum (sp?)
20190728_154646.jpg
Giraffe optional.

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
On a more serious note:
20190615_104150.jpg
Texas Ebony. Thorns included. I think they would make killer flattop. Naturally curving branches....nice leaf structure.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I had been looking for this tree I. The media thread and I finally found it! It’s exactly what your looking for I think??

Dan92119

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Belongs to @Dan92119 . He could probably elaborate more on its styling.
Actually it’s not my tree. They are from my very first post...I didn’t know what i was doing! They are pictures from the San Diego Bonsai show several years ago. I probably should figure out how to delete the pictures.

I like to tree but to me something is off about it. It might be that it has so much open space.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Actually it’s not my tree. They are from my very first post...I didn’t know what i was doing! They are pictures from the San Diego Bonsai show several years ago. I probably should figure out how to delete the pictures.

I like to tree but to me something is off about it. It might be that it has so much open space.
I agree, it is a bit off. I am going with honey locust outside and BRT inside.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Why?

Sorce
I think the locust is a better choice and I have not worked with them but have wanted to for some time. Chinese elms don't do that well for me unless I spray them frequently with a fungicide and my other elms, while they do much better, have huge leaves. That is not to say I will never use an elm. I have some I started from seed that may be trained in this fashion eventually. I potted up a honeylocust about a week ago and it looks so fine that I ordered 4 more.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The character of the Camel Thorn which makes it distinct as a flat-top is the way it grows SMALL foliage. It grows straight bull canes of small clusters of tiny leaves, like BRT and to a lesser extent Honeylocust. Stems that grow leaves that droop at the ends might be trimmed to be ~straight, but they won't look like that thin, flat straight top. Texas Ebony, not hardy, is a good example of a tree that has droopy foliage. It looks great, but not like a Camel Thorn.

Birds Nest Spruce grows straight stems of small foliage, too, but it doesn't look like a Camel Thorn. Garbage in garbage out.

woodworker

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think the locust is a better choice and I have not worked with them but have wanted to for some time. Chinese elms don't do that well for me unless I spray them frequently with a fungicide and my other elms, while they do much better, have huge leaves. That is not to say I will never use an elm. I have some I started from seed that may be trained in this fashion eventually. I potted up a honeylocust about a week ago and it looks so fine that I ordered 4 more.

The big Honey Locust on my property shoots up little trees from it's roots all over the place. I left a handful of them alone for fun and they are about 4-5 feet tall now. After reading this I am glad I did!

Top Bottom