Air Layering Japanese maple

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have tried multiple times to air layer AP fireglow. It maintains the best red color of all my maples here in North Carolina. So far I have been unsuccessful. I put this air layer on in early March. I re-cut it in July. I checked it two weeks ago. And there were no roots visible. I had given up on it, and figured I would try again next year. Checked today, and all of the sudden there are multiple new extending root. It’s supposed to be 28° here in two days. So I’m fairly sure the new extensions would not continue to grow . I figured I would go ahead and cut it off and get it in the ground where it will stay more insulated. Hoping for the best.
Overall, it took seven months to put out roots.
If it’s not very big maybe put into a pot of something...even spahgnum like a Peter Chan does and dig you a hole 2 feet deep and line with a few pieces of plywood and seal with caulk that can be applied in rain or wet and put a plywood top with foam insulation weather strip to seal tight and also leave bottom dirt with gravel.Will survive Winter nicely and will not drop below 27-29 degrees....Definately put box in shade.

Top Bottom