Air Layers That Don't Take

Umeboshi

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I made a couple of air layers on a crabapple tree; one put out roots, the other just callus tissue. Next spring should I clean up the cut to try again or should I leave all of the callus? How should I protect the area over the winter?

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
A few things can cause callusing instead of root growth; too much rooting hormone, the cut being too small, and the cut being too shallow. As for protection from winter temps I don't really know, perhaps lots of moss wrapped in burlap, or just let the callus heal over and deal with it... Try again in the spring making the cut even deeper than the cambium and about 1" wide. Good luck!

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have much better luck with doing the air layer in the hottest part of summer. They put out roots very fast... just make sure you don't let it dry out. I use turface so I water my everyday. My success with crabapple is 100% that is 1 out of 1 :)

fore

Omono
Reaction score
I also had two red maples not take. One is on the north side of the house, so it never got any direct sunlight which is my thought as to why it didn't take. The other, not so sure. I def. got down to the hard wood. I heard these were hard to air layer, and now I agree.

Umeboshi

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks everyone for your insights. I think I will remove the sphagnum, wrap the area tight and recut next year.

Top Bottom